Friday, June 29, 2007

Show & Tell Friday

I have been wanting to participate in Kelli's Show and Tell Friday but didn't get around to it until today! Thank you for being a our Hostess, Kelli!
My Show and Tell pictures are stamped cross stitch embroideries that I have recently completed. They were begun many years by my mother in law. When she lived in Northern Ontario, the winter evenings were long and quiet and she began many stamped cross stitch kits. Her days were filled with work, chopping firewood, hauling water, repairing tools, cooking, hunting and ice fishing, so she really enjoyed stitching as a quieter past time. Many of the kits were gifts she received from her mother, and some were from friends.

This was all finished except for the vining stitches - I love it!

After she passed away we found many of her unfinished works tucked here and there throughout her home - and I could not part with them. Since I have been occupied with my own unfinished projects, hers took a back burner for a long while, but at last I am trying to finish them up.


Only the wheat and leaves were left to be finished on this one!

Framing is expensive and our wall space is limited, so I picked my two favorite to finish first and have framed. I just hung them last week! I have finished three more, but I am planning to make one into a table runner and another, a pillow front. The third lends it's self to a bread basket cover, and just needs to be lined for that purpose.

I am not skilled at embroidery, but I am learning with each completed piece. I will lay them aside again until cooler days, since my evenings now are most often spent in the garden. Since they have waited 45 years to be finished, I'm guessing another few months won't hurt!

Thank you for coming to take a look! Come again soon!

8 comments:

  1. What lovely items and work. I had a friend that finished a 3 generation quilt. The grandmother had worked on it, then the mother and she finally finished it up!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so much fun! I have a quilt top that needs quilting and it has a wonderful story behind it! Perhaps I'll get to it one of these days!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are lovely, how very special that you have them to pass down too!
    You have a lovely blog here!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Tiany
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see you kept them. I see a lot of embroidered pieces at the second hand stores and I wonder why on earth family members didn't keep something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice collection to have. A sweet story to go with them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful treasures, Heather! I think it is so sweet that you are finishing them up, they are beautiful and you did a great job!
    I'm so glad you joined in for show and tell!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is so special that you were able to finish the pieces for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty, Heather!! I think it's wonderful that you were able to finish these.

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!