Sunday, June 10, 2007

Discovery Journals


I have been working on making some Summer Discovery Journals for the kids, and it is finally coming together.

I've included a few Bible verses to look up and a few to memorize, trying new foods, plants to press, games to play, toys to re-discover, insects to study, playgrounds to explore, road trip fun, vocabulary words and more. I plan to print them on cardstock and put them in duotangs for the kids to personalize. I was telling one mom about my idea and she is wanting her kids to join in the fun - they are already 'bored' with summer and it has just begun!

This is the format:

Date: ________________________________
Today I discovered that I can learn from God’s Word! I memorized this verse:


The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing!
Zephaniah 3:17

I said it to three people!
___________________________________
___________________________________
___________________________________



Date: ________________________________
Today I discovered that I can be a really big help to my mom by: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________




Date: ________________________________
Today I discovered just how long God has loved me! I found it in Jeremiah 31:3. This is what it says:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


I have included some vintage clip art from Antique Clipart and am just finishing up. I was hoping to have about 10 more entries, but I'm running out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions? My target age group is 7-10 years old. I am aiming for it to be fun, safe, not costly, and hopefully, character building! Discovering new things about God's wonderful world is always fun, so I do hope the children enjoy this. As an incentive, I am offering my kids a $10 gift certificate to their favorite toy shop for completing their journals.


All of the 'Journal' entries begin with:


Date: ________________________________

Today I discovered ...



I appreciate your input very much and I would be happy to e-mail the file to anyone who is interested once I've got it completed. I am not an author nor a graphics artist, it is just simple and straightforward, so don't expect anything great!


Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I like this idea very much. Some things off the top of my head: writing to a missionary (or missionary kid), doing service projects for neighbors or elderly, asking a person in your church to tell you their testimony writing down key parts in your journal, look up definitions for some of the attributes of God, keep a prayer/praise section, learn the history behind a hymn, visit a nursing home/assisted living home and take a small vase of handpicked flowers, learn a few new skills (such as baking a cake from scratch, learning to wash clothes, etc.), write a nature poem, make up a song using words of Scripture, secretly make your sibling's bed or do another chore for him/her or mom and dad...okay, that's a lot of ideas from the top of my head!! Hope this gives you some ideas. I'd love to have a copy when you get to that stage. Hope some of these ideas help you out.

    One question--what is a duotang?

    This is a great idea and I think your kids will enjoy it immensly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Heather for your great ideas! I have already covered some of them, but I didn't think of many of your ideas! I can add to their books easily though.

    My husband says duotang is Canadian for Report Cover - you know the type with three metal prongs that you fold over after they have gone trough the holes in your paper?

    I have been trying to e-mail a copy of what I have so far to Kelli, but I am not computer wise. I sent it in .wps and she couldn't open it, but when I tried another format (.doc) it messed up the file and made it a huge attachment that wouldn't send. I don't know how to compress files. Do you know how to solve this problem? Dial up is getting to be a real frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could try Adobe Acrobat format. Most everyone has that since it is a free program. You could email me the file and I could forward it on to other people. That way you would only have to send it once. Is wps word? word perfect? I'll have to do some research on how to compress the file.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I agree dial-up is slow and frustratiing!

    Thanks for explaining duotang. ;)

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, would you e mail the file to me please? I am not 100% sure what it is all about but I think I would like to go through it with my son who is 9. Many thanks.

    niallca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!