Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Vanilla Sugar Almonds

Are you looking for a super quick and yummy gift idea? This recipe is one I have adapted from Jean Pare's Company's Coming Millenium Edition cookbook, and I thought I would share it here. If you are drawn to the nut vendors at the County Fair and have paid an outrageous price for a small sleeve of warm roasted almonds, then you will likely enjoy this recipe. In a season of many overly candied treats, I like these because they are just sweet enough!

Vanilla Sugar Almonds

2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup of white sugar
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract

41/2 cups of whole blanched or natural almonds (unsalted)

1/2 cup of melted butter

Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees F.
Beat egg whites until stiff and add sugar, salt and vanilla. Fold in almonds.
Pour melted butter into a 9x13 pan and spread the almond mixture over it. Bake for 10 minutes, stir well. Repeat for 3 or 4 times for 30-40 minutes or until no butter remains in the bottom of the pan. Pour out unto waxed paper or parchment and seperate to cool. I cannot say how well these keep - we give most away and the rest disappear quickly!

Variations:
1. The original recipe calls for a combination of pecans, walnuts and almonds, and omits the vanilla.
2. I sometimes add 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the recipe for a nice change.
3. Exchanging the white sugar for brown lends a sweeter, caramel hint to these addictive nuts!


Hint: This week I purchased wonderful fresh nutmeats at Sam's club - the almonds were $9 for a 9 cup bag, working out to about $3 per pound compared to $5+ at most of my local grocery stores. The big bag made a great 'double batch'!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heather!!!! I've always thought these would be SOOO difficult to make!! Thank you for sharing these and letting me know that I actually CAN make something like this!! I think these will make lovely gifts!!

    His,
    Mrs.U

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this was helpful to you Mrs. U - they really are so incredibly easy to make - the cooling time is the hardest part - keeping out of them while they are still warm ..... mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!