Friday, December 22, 2006

Sweet Day

Oven Baked Caramel Corn - always a big hit for gifts and our own enjoyment!
I made 8 quarts today and will undoubtedly need to make another batch! Or two!

Moving on to cookies - mmmmm! A yummy new recipe to me - Pound Cake Wafers from Mrs. Wilt at The Sparrows Nest and good old chocolate crinkles. The Dreamer loves rolling the balls in powdered sugar.


Anna from Pleasant View Schoolhouse shared her recipe for Ginger Shortbread and they are so good! In the background you'll see a bag of Brownie Biscotti, a recipe I've changed to make my own, and my mom's wonderful Christmas Shortbread - a square that needs cooling time before it is cut and enjoyed. There is also a bag or two of my Vanilla Sugar Almonds there, waiting to be given away!

My sister gave me this simple recipe for Toasted Almond Bark - I let it harden and broke it into chunks to be prettily packaged and given away.

My little taste tester! What a boy!

This morning I was expecting a friend to come with her 5 children and have a baking morning, but she was unable to come. She awakened not feeling well, and knowing that we are just getting over our own brand of germs, and need to stay well for our trip to Canada, she called and we decided it was best to postpone. It was a bitter disappointment for the children, but they were quick to realize that we have already missed one trip to see Poppa and Grammy this year because of illness, and we don't want to do that again!


I had pulled out the recipes, softened the butter and planned the baking day, so I went ahead with some of it by myself. The children enjoyed a day of quiet reading, computer learning games, play and a favorite video series. I normally limit videos to one, but they could not go out in the cold pouring rain, and they weren't keen on helping since they are both still coughing and would have had a hard time keeping germs off the goodies! So it was a '3.2.1. Penguins' kind of day, I guess. Their rooms were already very tidy!


One of the things I like best about blogging is the encouragement to try new recipes. I did so today with good results. For all of you who keep on sharing such wonderful recipes - I thank you! My family thanks you too!

9 comments:

  1. Oh YUM!!! Everything looks incredible!! I love caramel popcorn and all your cookies are so pretty! I've been meaning to try Anna's Gingerbread shortbread! All your goodies look like a magazine photo! What do you have surrounding the burning candle? It is very pretty. Also, your son's eye looks SO much better than the other day!
    Merry Christmas
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I had fun today, but now that it is all put away I am tired!

    I dried some rosehips from the garden hoping they would be more decorative for a wreath or something pretty! They got really wizened, so I put them in a bag with a few drops of cinnamon oil and let them sit for a week or two. Now when my candle is warm the soft scent of cinnamon and roses mingles with the 'sugar cookie' candle scent.
    His handsome eyes are all back to normal, we have much to be thankful for!
    Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, you are taking after your mother in doing so.o.o.o.o.o much baking for Christmas. She too has made the Christmas shortbread, ginger crinkles, chocolate balls, cherry flips, and on and on.

    I am happy that you enjoy doing so much, and you most certainly have a generous spirit in that you share so much with friends and neighbors. Mr. R. will enjoy some I am sure.

    Hope you get feeling better, and that you get stronger each day so you can come N.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi aunty heather .

    your web site is very long but it is neat.I would like to try some of those cookies,and recipies.

    from : Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew! It is a good thing you are such a great reader because your Aunty doesn't know how to keep things short! Do you think I take after Grammy? She likes a lot of words too! I'm glad your family made it safely to Poppa and Grammy's - I know you'll have a lovely time! I'd love to have you come to our house and sample some cookies! Which ones look good to you? I can share the recipes with you and your mommy. See you in a couple of weeks, Lord willing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Heather!!!! I absolutely have to have all of your recipes!!! Everything looks SOOOO delicious!!!

    I hope you have a very merry Christmas!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. U - what a lovely compliment! I just don't have the time to type them all right now, but if you can be patient, I will gladly oblige! Is there one you might like to have right away? I wish I were a more speedy typist!

    Merry Christmas

    'you will find what you are looking for in Bethlehem ...'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, where can I find all these recipes? I don't think I've ever made cookies that look THAT good! hehe

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all in the cookie scoop Jenn! I can't get them uniform without my pampered chef cookie scoop! I broke one on some very stiff batter and woke my hubby up to get him to fix it because I can't make cookies without it any more!
    Also - I love parchment paper on airbake pans! I have never ever burnt a cookie using those two in combination and I am always at the other end of the house and don't hear the timer! I use the parchement over and over to save money!
    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!