Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cherry Flips

Just a pinch of dough to cover a well dried cherry! I keep a bit of flour on the counter and just keep dipping my fingers in it since this dough is a bit sticky.

They don't expand much so you can place them closely on the cookie sheets.


The finished product!


When we were the Pastor's family we enjoyed hosting a "Christmas Open House' each year following a Christmas Carolling Walk through town stopping at various homes of 'shut-in' church family members and the local nursing home. It was such a fun evening, and one of the many aspects of being in the ministry that I really miss. I had hoped to get a small group together here to go a'carolling, but we need to get everyone well before I make any plans! This was my most requested cookie recipes, and I have very fond memories of standing with my mum in the kitchen making hundreds of these 'little mouthfuls of heaven'!



Cherry Flips

1 cup of soft butter

1/2 cup icing sugar

2 egg yolks

2 1/2 cups cake flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons of real almond extract



2-10 oz. jars of marachino cherries, drained, juice reserved, and patted very dry on paper towel



Icing:

2 Tbsp. reserved cherry juice

2 Tbsp. soft butter

1 1/2 cups of icing sugar

2 tbsp. milk





Cream butter and sugar well, add egg yolks and extract. Gently stir in salt and flour. Do not overwork this dough or it will be 'tough'. With floured hands pinch off 1 teaspoon of dough. Flaten into a round. Place cherry in middle of round and bring dough to completely cover cherry. Roll in hands to make a uniform ball amd place on parchment lined cookie sheets.



Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.



Stir icing ingredients together. Add more milk or cherry juice as needed to make a slightly runny icing. Ice cooled cookies.



Decorate with drizzled melted chocolate or candy sprinkles. I like to use good quality milk chocolate chipits melted in the microwave in a zipper freezer bag. I use 1/3 cup chipits and microwave on medium for 40 seconds. I snip the corner of the bag after the chocolate is melted and drizzle zig zags over the tops.

2 comments:

  1. Your cherry flips are almost too pretty to eat, Heather!! I love the drizzled chocolate on top, what a lovely touch.
    I picked up marachino cherries today and can't wait to try your shortbread recipe!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for a bake sale and they were the first thing to sell! People were actually arguing over them. Thanks for the great recipe. Jules

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!