Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas Tour of Homes

I read about boomama's Christmas Tour of Homes on Kelli's Blog and thought it was a great idea! Obviously many others did too! It was so fun to peek into other blogger's homes and see their creativity! Some were simply inspiring, others, enchanting!

You are more than welcome to come to the front door and enjoy the fragrance of my mixed greens wreath! If you do you'll see our 'magical twinkling lights' wrapped around the pillars that support the porch.
Most folks prefer our side door, and you know what they say about 'back door guests are the best'! The snowflake lights may be the only snow we'll see this Christmas!
This is our old wooden baby sleigh filled with fresh greens, white lights, gold sprays and a cheerful crimson velvet and gold ribbon bow.
There is Peppermint the cat running fast to beat you to the door!


My kitchen shelf serves as a simple reminder that Christmas is about the love God showed in sending His Son to earth. 'Love one another as Christ has loved you ...' is a daily theme in our home.


On top of the corner cabinet in the family room we have a old world snowy winter woodlands theme.


The theme is continued on the mantle where painted tin birds and snowflakes nestle in the branches, snow sprays, pinecones and berries, right in front of the birdhouses where they might make their winter home.


This is our new artificial tree - a first for us! We are attempting to sidestep the Christmas tree allergies that our sweet Dreamer often suffers from. We named the tree Goliath - can you guess why? It looks a bit sparse this year, but I'm planning some ornament crafting in the near future to help fill in the bare spots! We have angels, snowflakes and precious ornaments that are meaningful to the children.


We'll make our last stop the playroom, decorated by The Dreamer herself! We don't have alot of wallspace where we 'do school', so the schoolroom decorations are relegated to the playroom!

That's the end of our tour for now!

I would love to give you a more complete 'tour' of our home, all ready for Christmas! Unfortunately without high speed internet, downloading even a few pictures takes hours, so I'll just give you a glimpse! I wonder if there is a faster way for those of us still driving on in the slow lane? I'll have to look into it.

In the meantime, I just found my menu from our last 'real' Christmas Open House, and I thought I'd share it with you! I made everything from in my own little kitchen and served about 45 people. It was a cold December night and everyone was joining us after trudging through big drifts of snow to various homes in our neighbourhood and singing Christmas Carols! Wonderful memories!

Beverages:

Hot Spiced Apple Cider in the big Cider Urn

Hot Coffee - regular and decaf

Sparkling Cranberry Raspberry Punch with Mint Leaf & Raspberry Ice Ring



Sweet Treats:

Christmas Shortbread Squares

Vanilla Dips

Brownie Bites with Candy Cane Icing

Peanut Butter Balls

Pecan Snowballs

Cherry Flips

Gingerbread lads and lassies

Homemade Caramel Corn

Pralined Pecans

Maple Fudge



Hot Stuff:

Phyllo Wrapped Baked Brie

Spinach Dip in a Pumpernickle Bread Bowl

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

Mini Bacon Cheddar Quiches

Mini Tortiere (French Canadian Meat Pie)

Three Cheese Triangles in Phyllo Pastry



Cold Offerings:

Cheese Ball and Crackers

Veggie Tray and Dilly Dip

Chilled Shrimp and Cocktail Sauce

Strawberries & Fruit Slices with Honey Yogurt Dip

I think that was it! I had the advantage of a consistantly very cold garage to store the baked goods in so it acted as my extra refrigerator. We actually put an alarm out in the garage next to the food in case it warmed up past 37 degrees, but it never did! It was so much fun! I love to cook for others, but I have pretty simple tastes, so it was fun to venture forth a bit into richer foods at Christmas!

Thank you for visitng my blog! I do hope that your Christmas is blessed with the abiding joy found in knowing Jesus Christ as your dearest Friend. Blessings!

10 comments:

  1. A very lovely home, and beautifully decorated. I especially like the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is beautiful-there were so many decorations that I liked, especially your child's sleigh filled with greens, and the arrangements on top of the cupboards/hutch.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy and ParkerDecember 17, 2006

    What a beautiful home. I love your mixed greens wreath. So lovely. Thanks for inviting us in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful decorations and home. Your tree is so pretty and I love the old world woodland theme. Thank you so much for the tour! Have a very blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is sooo pretty!!! How very festive and inviting! You even have a cat with a name fitting for the season!!! Thank you very much for inviting us in!!!

    His,
    Mrs. U
    (wishing that I could really nibble on some of the goodies you listed!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful home and decorations! I love the baby sleigh idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your tree is beautiful! We went went artificial a couple of years ago. I thought my daughter wouldn't get over that, but she finally did. LOL Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely lovely!!! what a beautiful home and you have done such a great job decorating. I esp love the sleigh with fresh greens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the sleigh is adorable!!! All of your greenery is gorgeous and I love the snowflakes hanging from the outside garland. Your home is cozy and inviting! Thanks for having us over!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your front door & the menu made me hungyr. Thanks for having me over.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!