Saturday, March 22, 2008

Mossy Madness

After all my chores were done last night, and the children were sound asleep - I began my mossy madness. Have I confessed my love for moss before? Mmmm ... now you are really getting to know my deepest, greenest secrets!

It all started with a recipe search on Martha Stewart.com. Pumpkin Spice Bundt cake, to be exact. Actually, that's not quite true either. My obsession began in Wal*Mart were NORDIC Bundt pans were on clearance for $4. I had to have one. What could be more special than 6 mini bundt cakes gracing our tea time? I knew I had a cup of pumpkin puree in the fridge and that my family wasn't in the mood for more Pumpkin Crunch Muffins. So I searched Martha Stewart for inspiration and that lead me to this wonderful Cushion Moss Wreath.



Thus my search for Cushion Moss began. It wasn't easy. I found it through my local florist after calling about 6 of them - and ordered a case, because it's cheaper that way you know. I thought finding the straw wreath form would be a cinch, but apparently not - they are 'out' right now - evidently, NO ONE is using them ... hmmm! I guess they have never heard of Martha Stewart? Crafts 2000 came to my rescue - hidden in a far back corner. Cheap too - less than $1 each. I bought 7 - because I know that when I get obsessed with something as fun as moss, I just have to make more than one! I also bought a gross of fern pins - for about $1. All in all, I was ready to get mossy.


It was so much fun - who knew pinning moss to a wreath form could be so easy, and fun? Messy - yes, but not the kind of mess that you can't clean up quickly! My first wreath I decorated with a branch, a small nest, a pretty robin and a casual moss green bow. I gave it to my friend Mrs. M (of the reupholstered chair) this morning and she loved it! I forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it away! I'll have to ask her to e-mail a picture of it when she puts it up! She and I found this wonderful cream and rich red upholstery fabric last Saturday - for $6 a yard!!!! There was plenty to slipcover her family room couch - and lots to spare I'm sure! It is a 'railroaded' fabric, very posh and lovely beyond words - quite a find - and perfect for slipcovering! I'm so excited about the project, I've been dreaming about it! You'd think it was for our home! This morning we did the initial measuring and pattern making for the 'muslin' prototype.


Speaking of prototypes - I made a wallet this week. I don't have a pattern but was inspired by Autum of Creative Little Daisy fame. She recently conquered binding in a beautiful wallet project. I chose some scraps from our kitchen toppers because I have some black and white toile left from my chair project that I really want to use, but not enough to mess up on, if you know what I mean. I should have used a lighter weight fabric - it weighs a lot even empty! It is thick and awkward, and was difficult to bind properly - I didn't even attempt mitered corners. The Dreamer has her eye on it, but we'll see. My old wallet is leather and simply butter soft - I really wish it wasn't falling apart!




I think I'll just find something lighter for the next one - and save the scraps of classic black toile for some little pouches to organize the inner workings of my purse prettily. I'll just have to find some cheap black zippers!




I have two windows in my kitchen and loved these toppers from the moment I finished them - except for the one little 'fault' of a poorly pieced seam in the binding that is right over my head when I'm at the sink. No one else sees it, thankfully, and they are my most 'complimented' sewing project to date. I still like them two years later, which is a good thing!







I am off for more mossy madness in the Grammy Flat /Crafting room - I still have lots of moss, ribbon, wreaths, nests and robins! I hope that the real robins don't take a peak, think I am putting out the wreath for their benefit and decide to take it all away! In their little bird brains they just might think my wreathes are the birdy version of 'Nest Depot' - it wouldn't be the first time!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. What pattern did you make your curtains from? I need to buy or make some new curtains for my kitchen, and I love this design! I love the toile look, too. They look great.
    Leigha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy crafting and tend to do it after the kids are in bed.

    I always enjoy reading about your crafting and deals. :) You new blog design fits your blog so well.

    As I'm reading your blog, you've said a couple things that makes me think we might me somewhat of neighbors. I told my daughter that saying that may scare the bejebbers out of you. However if it doesn't, email me using the email button on my profile page.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leigha - my pattern was old and has been discontinued, but it is really similar to McCall's M4329 - and it was a McCalls to begin with I think. It was fun and so quick and easy - but took a lot of fabric for two smallish windows. Since the lining shows, I chose two decor fabrics and a yard of another to make my bias binding. The fabric is a Waverly - Rustic Life in sage, I think. Have fun!

    Heather - I am glad you enjoy reading - I like the writing part!! Don't worry - I am not easily scared - unless you go 'bump' in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curtains and the wallet are just beautiful!!!! I have an idea to make a black and white toile tea cozy, but I haven't found just the right material yet.

    Your moss wreaths look so nice -- perfect for Spring.

    Hope you all had a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the wallet and wreath. I haven't been on your blog for a while and just caught up. You are doing lovely things with your home; keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those curtains.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!