Monday, October 15, 2007

Mouthwatering Muffins!

Mum’s Pumpkin
'Crunch' Muffins




1 ¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup raisins


2/3 cup milk
¾ cup pureed pumpkin or yam (canned works well)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 beaten egg

2 tablespoons brown sugar for topping

Grease muffin tin or spray with Pam. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and sift together. Add raisins and stir. In a separate bowl combine beaten egg, milk, oil, and pumpkin until smooth. Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fill each muffin tin cup ¾ full. Top with a generous sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out cleanly. Makes 10 nice sized muffins. Best eaten the day they are made - no trouble at our house! This makes a light tender muffin that is not too sweet. The (big and little) kids all love the crunchy topping!

My mum made these muffins a lot when I was a girl and I always loved them - I have changed the recipe a bit since she had really reduced the sugar (my dad is a diabetic) and I found that the spices 'bit' without the sugar to mellow them - plus my family has a sweet tooth! I also added more pumpkin than she does - by accident the first time! I got rave reviews for the 'extra pumpkin' batch and so I've been doing that ever since. I didn't add any more flour, so they take longer to bake, but are lighter and really yummy! When I cook pie pumpkins and puree them to freeze, I always freeze some 3/4 cup portions just for this recipe!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely need to try this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll like it! It just seems like a good time of year for anything pumpkin, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!