Thursday, March 20, 2008

Blue skies and blooming beautiful!

I was so happy this morning to awaken to sunshine! After days of rain, our area is super saturated and very soggy. Groundwater is filling our septic tank and our sump pump is in overdrive. Our worries are small compared to those who abide on lower ground where the rivers have exceeded their bounds more fully than I have seen in springs past. High water signs are everywhere, and more rain is expected. For today, we have sunshine and a chance to dry up a bit. I hope to be able to do some laundry later, but for now, adding any more water to the septic might prove a disaster of very smelly proportions, so I'm just going to wait it out. I cannot get over how green the grass is - our neighbors with the immaculate lawns are lush and green, and our weed patch is a variegated patchwork of greens!

Our amaryllis continue to delight with blooms that add color to every room. They may not be very 'Easter-ish' but since they are here making my heart sing, I'm enjoying them just for what they are!



We have just about finished listening to 'The Luke Reports - The Life of Jesus', another wonderful radio theatre presentation from Focus on The Family. I have to say that is has really helped us to focus our hearts and minds on the life of Christ, His teaching, His suffering and death, and the sufferings of His followers.


As our celebration of Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday approaches, I think this is a very good thing.


We tend to read those passages which record the early years of the believing church from the perspective of the relative peace in which we live and loose sight of the turbulent times in which the church was birthed. Listening to this excellent production has brought history to life in ways that reading alone has not. It is very dramatic, and might not be suitable for many young listeners because of the brutality of the Sicarii Zealots, and the Roman Empire. Our Storyteller (age 7 1/2) has in turns, been brought to tears, and burned with anger at the injustice the early Christians faced. We all have felt passion and compassion as the life of Jesus and His followers comes to life for us through these terrific recordings. I hope that we will remember to listen to these again each year as Easter approaches and many time throughout the year, as I am sure we will continue to be challenged by the Gospel of Luke.


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Your flowers are just so beautiful!!! The Luke Reports sounds really good -- maybe our library will have it. I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous! I really should think of doing that this time of year. It would be a much-needed dose of spring in an otherwise dreary outdoors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I saw your comment at Kelli's site and stopped over to see you. The flowers are lovely. We have quite a few here. Can't help myself, I've even got forsythia sticks blooming in water! Hope your little fellow is ok. What a sad thing to happen to him.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spring blooms are just lovely and I'm hoping you share your moss wreath with us sometime. :0) It sounds like you and I feel the same way about moss!
    May you and your family have a blessed Easter and thank you for being such a wonderful friend.
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!