When she finally woke up, I asked her if she would like some nice warm muffins - she asked for 'Muffins That Taste Like Donuts' - it's an old MuffinMania recipe that we've tweaked a bit for our family enjoyment! I hope your family likes it too!
Muffins That Taste Like Donuts
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Mix together the oil, egg, vanilla, sugar and milk.
- Add to the dry mixture stirring until just combined.
- Spoon 1/2 of the mixture into 9 greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Once muffins have cooled a little, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set on a tray and allow to cool.
I also made her some Butterscotch pudding - one of her other favorites! There are some Knox Blox, or 'jello jigglers' cooling in the fridge too. She'll be happy!
I wonder if you think I'm spoiling my girl just a wee bit, but honestly, I enjoy bringing our children comfort when they are unwell. Don't get me wrong, I would never wish for them to be sick, or cause their illness purposefully, but when they do get sick, I look at it as an opportunity to teach compassion and caring. I fondly remember my Mum caring for me during various childhood illnesses and more so in my teens when I suffered so terribly with migraines. I am frequently unwell myself (because of liver disease) and I often enjoy the tender care of my husband and children. I cherish the opportunity to repay their kindnesses. Our little ones are not so little any more, one day soon, they will be grown and gone! Even childhood illnesses can be a blessing if you make the choice to let them be!
Enjoy your day!