Friday, October 31, 2008

Comfort for Dreamer

Our Dreamer is a sick little girlie - she is taking antibiotics for a serious double ear infection and she is full of a cold which is aggravated by her asthma! She is taking Singular, Advair and albuterol every 4 hours. Yuck! Yesterday we comforted ourselves by watching 'Anne of Green Gables' together - she rested on the couch and I caught up the ironing! Yeah! This morning she slept until NOON! I don't think she has done that since she had bronchial pneumonia three winters ago.

When she finally woke up, I asked her if she would like some nice warm muffins - she asked for 'Muffins That Taste Like Donuts' - it's an old MuffinMania recipe that we've tweaked a bit for our family enjoyment! I hope your family likes it too!


Muffins That Taste Like Donuts

  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Topping

  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
  3. Mix together the oil, egg, vanilla, sugar and milk.
  4. Add to the dry mixture stirring until just combined.
  5. Spoon 1/2 of the mixture into 9 greased muffin tins.


Add 1 tsp. jam, jelly or apple butter to the center of each. Cover with remaining batter.


  1. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
  3. Once muffins have cooled a little, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
  4. Set on a tray and allow to cool.

I also made her some Butterscotch pudding - one of her other favorites! There are some Knox Blox, or 'jello jigglers' cooling in the fridge too. She'll be happy!




I wonder if you think I'm spoiling my girl just a wee bit, but honestly, I enjoy bringing our children comfort when they are unwell. Don't get me wrong, I would never wish for them to be sick, or cause their illness purposefully, but when they do get sick, I look at it as an opportunity to teach compassion and caring. I fondly remember my Mum caring for me during various childhood illnesses and more so in my teens when I suffered so terribly with migraines. I am frequently unwell myself (because of liver disease) and I often enjoy the tender care of my husband and children. I cherish the opportunity to repay their kindnesses. Our little ones are not so little any more, one day soon, they will be grown and gone! Even childhood illnesses can be a blessing if you make the choice to let them be!

Enjoy your day!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh! I have a cold too....poor Dreamer. But it gives her more time to dream, so it's kinda like a blessing....does she get off of school? I hope she does because no self-respeacting kid should get better by doing school work! LOL.

    (I'm 11 by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah thanks for dropping by - to answer your question, yesterday Dreamer chose to do her computer math work, and to read - but I didn't require it of her! She slept most of today and so this has been a school-less day! Part of the blessing of homeschooling is that we just keep going when we can, and rest in between subjects. She is playing with her brother in the sandbox right now - they just had a funeral in the woods for Baby Chipmunk, who our cat Peppermint caught and killed. Peppermint was in everyone's bad books for that, but he is an outdoor cat, following his instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Dreamer is feeling better quickly...what a blessing to have such a sweet mommy! My "babies" are so big...I kinda miss those times together on a sick day! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your little gal gets well soon. Your muffin recipe looks so yummy, I must try it soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe and happy Halloween!
    smiles,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will pray for dreamer. Dancer and I were thinking of her as she has tried on clothes - some of them from her dear friend dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll say a prayer for your sweetie. It's so hard when are children are sick. I like to spoil the girls and Benjamin when they aren't well either. Their favorite treat is breakfast in bed. :0)
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!