Monday, October 20, 2008

A Marriage Saving Moment

Brought to you by your friend, Heather!


Here's how it goes pretty much every fall, as soon as the cooler nights begin. I lay in bed shivering under the cool cotton sheets and long for my cozy flannel (or flannelet if you are Canadian!). Since I generally wash all the sheets on Monday mornings (because those sweet embroidered tea towels can't be wrong) we usually have an October Sunday night conversation that goes something like this:

Me: "Say goodbye to the cotton sheets, Hon - when I remake the bed tomorrow, it's going to be flannel."

Historian: "Oh man! You're kidding, right? I'm already dying here with the windows closed. Do you really need the flannel sheets? You've already got out your flannel nighties. Isn't that enough?"

Me: "I'm really cold - I need the flannel sheets. Maybe you can think of it as part of your weight loss routine - sweat off a pound while you sleep?"

Historian: "Hmmm. I don't think so. Couldn't we put it off another month or so?"

Me: "No - I'm seriously chilly. You'll survive the flannel sheets, won't you?"

Historian: "I'll survive - but don't expect me to be under them!"

Me: "Just throw them over on my side - that will work!"

So, tonight as I was gleefully remaking the bed with my wonderful soft thick flannel sheets, I remembered an inspiration that I had 17 years ago when we were first married and faced this self-same dilemma. I thought I'd share it for all you who live with very warm blooded husbands.

It involves a set of flannel sheets and a set of cotton, and a sewing machine. My idea was to cut both sets of sheets from top to bottom exactly up the middle and then sew them back together cotton to flannel, making two sets of sheets with one side cool crisp cotton and one side warm cozy flannel. The ultimate in compromise!

It might work for you - but only if you strictly stay on your own side of the bed and can stand sleeping on a seam. Even when I flat felled the seam, I still couldn't stand it. Not even for one night. I can't sleep if there are any wrinkles either - just ask my husband.

Rather then donate my crazy sheets to charity (and have some poor soul scratching their heads wondering why anyone would alter the sheets that way), we tore them into 5" strips and rolled them into bandages. Many many bandages for the White Cross ladies at our church to send to a missionary hospital.

Since we were newly married and had exactly 43 other sets of sheets along with 27 casserole dishes and 18 measuring cups, I didn't feel so badly.

The point was, I made an effort to find a happy medium and that truly is a marriage saver.

For the record, if it were just up to me, I'd use flannel 9 months of the year.

Ephesians 5:33

However, let each man of you without exception love his wife as being in a sense his very own self; and let the wife see that she respects and reverences her husband that she notices him, regards him, honors him, prefers him, venerates, and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves and admires him exceedingly.

~ Amplified Bible

post signature

Photo Credit - The Company Store - click on picture to view website

6 comments:

  1. We've had the same dilema for 20 years now, but I never thought of the "split personality" sheets before. Fortunately, he's okay with sleeping on top of the sheets & I deal with a small crack in the window all winter :-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could so identify with this post about the extreme temp differences in warm husbands and chilly wives...until this last year. Now, my husband is the one who turns the heat up and won't open the windows! What happened?! Why couldn't one of us stay the same...now we're opposites again! Waaa! LOL!

    The Company Store sheets are beautiful, aren't they? I haven't changed to flannel yet altho my husband would probably love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, so glad we're not the only ones!! My husband fusses about my down comforter every day! I finally resolved to keeping it folded at the end of the bed, but he continues to take it off every night :) Oh well, pick your fights...right?!

    -Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Heather...what a sweet story. Now when I lived out west/northwest, that was an issue in our bed too! But now I'm out in HOT Florida....no more flannel :O( Miss it terribly! Thank goodness we're both very warm-blooded. But what a sweet story...thanks for sharing and THANK YOU for dropping by my blog so I could find you! I love your blog! I'm adding you to my follows. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I'm still giggling about this post. How funny! I would have never thought to split and sew the sheets. Great idea!!
    Enjoyed your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't have the doctrine to prove it but i am of the opinion, and no-one can convince me otherwise, that there will be flannel in heaven ~ soft fluffy beautiful wonderful flannel!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!