Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Easy Pudding



This week our store manager put organic milk on sale for $1.49 simply because it was about to expire! I grabbed it, of course! I have made a number of 'sour milk' recipes this week, including corn meal muffins, popovers and pudding. Today, our sweet Dreamer has a sore mouth because the orthodontist decided to 'help' two of her baby molars a bit with some gentle tugging this morning. We are planning a 'soft' dinner, including macaroni and cheese, tea biscuits, apple sauce and pudding - again! Tonight's choice is scutterbotch - or butterscotch, if you like! Pudding is so quick and simple to make from scratch, and quite economical too, but I know many who have only ever had the instant boxed kinds or pre-made pudding cups, so I thought I'd share my foolproof recipe. I make it in the microwave with my 8 cup glass measuring bowl and it never burns or gets lumpy, but I do stay with it!


Butterscotch Pudding
In a heatproof glass bowl heat 2 cups of milk (slightly sour is fine) in the microwave for 2 minutes on High.

While milk is heating, whisk together:
2 beaten eggs
1 cup brown sugar, packed (we like dark brown too!)
5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add a bit of hot milk to egg mixture and whisk until there are no lumps. Add it to the rest of the hot milk and whisk together. Heat on high for 1 minute. Whisk. Repeat 3 times until the mixture is thick and creamy. Pour into 6 - 1/2 cup custard bowls and refrigerate. If you don't like the 'skin' on pudding, lay a piece of plastic wrap right on the pudding before placing in the fridge. Enjoy!



Mellow Milk Chocolate Pudding
In a heatproof glass bowl heat 2 cups of milk (slightly sour is fine) and 3 squares of semi-sweet bakers chocolate in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on High. Whisk to combine. Make sure the chocolate is melted. Return to microwave for 30 seconds if necessary.

While milk is heating, whisk together:
2 beaten eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract

Add a bit of hot chocolate milk to egg mixture and whisk until there are no lumps. Add it to the rest of the hot milk and whisk together. Heat on high for 1 minute. Whisk. Repeat 3 times until the mixture is thick and creamy. Pour into 6 - 1/2 cup custard bowls and refrigerate. If you don't like the 'skin' on pudding, lay a piece of plastic wrap right on the pudding before placing in the fridge. Enjoy!


Banana 'Surprise' Pudding
In a heatproof glass bowl heat 2 cups of milk (slightly sour is fine) in the microwave for 2 minutes on High.

While milk is heating, whisk together:
2 beaten eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
11/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Add a bit of hot milk to egg mixture and whisk until there are no lumps. Add it to the rest of the hot milk and whisk together. Heat on high for 1 minute. Whisk. Repeat 3 times until the mixture is thick and creamy.

Slice 1 or 2 bananas into the bottom of 6 custard cups before pouring pudding and refrigerate. Add a well drained maraschino cherry if you like to add to the surprise! If you don't like the 'skin' on pudding, lay a piece of plastic wrap right on the pudding before placing in the fridge. Best eaten the same day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love pudding! Thank you for the easy recipes, I'm going to make some for the girls and Benjamin tonight! I can never wait until it cools completely though. ;0)
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like pudding warm too - there was a certain little girl begging to lick the spatula after I cleaned out the bowl .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the recipes--I have to laugh because all I've ever grown up on and served to this day has been the pudding out of a box. Will have to try these--they look fantastic!

    Blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather, thanks for visiting my blog recently. I don't think I have ever made pudding except from a box (like Paula) either. I'm certainly going to try your recipes. I'm sure my daughter will appreciate it when her orthodontist tightens her braces!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!