Monday, October 6, 2008

Simple Autumn Joys - Our Idea Jar


I mentioned our 'Simple Autumn Joys' idea jar in my earlier post, but have forgotten to share this simple idea with you all! I often wonder where I've left my brain!

Simply put, it is a jar filled with ideas that help us celebrate God's precious gift of Autumn with simplicity and joy. I find that we look forward to the seasonal changes with great expectation, but often get so busy we let the season pass and are into the next one without enjoying it's own unique gifts. This is our attempt to keep the season well- to intentionally make memories that will last!

First, we made a list of of our family's 'Autumn Joys' - we found that many of our joys involve special treats - so they have replaced all of the desserts that we usually enjoy.

  1. make pumpkin cookies
  2. press some leaves in waxed paper
  3. make caramel sauce for apples
  4. visit the old grist mill
  5. explore the Vietnam Vet's memorial
  6. make apple crisp
  7. visit the apple orchard - pick apples
  8. make gingerbread cookies in leaf shapes
  9. gather buckeyes
  10. wander through the cemetery and look for those who have left a testimony of faith
  11. have a campfire in the backyard - roast hot dogs
  12. make cider slushies
  13. go for a walk at the nature center
  14. make caramel corn and give some to friends
  15. plant fall mums
  16. make s'mores
  17. go for a walk to look for pretty leaves
  18. make apple butter sandwiches with fresh homemade bread for lunch
  19. visit a farm and watch the harvest
  20. go for a family bike ride
  21. make a batch of maple cream fudge
  22. rake a big pile of leaves and jump in them
  23. make apple sauce and can it for winter (the children pealing the apples)
  24. gather a bouquet of autumn wild flowers
  25. pick out some pumpkins
  26. plant fall bulbs
  27. make apple fritters or cider donuts
I think you get the idea! The jar is quite full and there are extra slips of paper awaiting new inspirations!


Second, we wrote these on scraps of pretty fall scrapbook papers and put them in our jar.

Third, we take take one out at a time and have something to look forward to when our schoolwork is completed for the day. This works best on Tuesday, Fridays and Saturdays with our current schedule! Sometime we take them out at the beginning of school if I think we need something to look forward to, and sometimes we draw at the end of the day as a reward for diligent work!

That's all there is to it, and it works well for us! I hope that our little idea inspires you to find beauty in the simplicity of autumn too!





So far we have made Kelli's apple fritters, Brenda's fine pumpkin cookies - substituting the shorting with butter, visited the grist mill and three apple orchards, made apple butter, made apple cider slushies (more then once), taken a picnic lunch, gone for a few nice walks and gathered bouquets of fall flowers.

To think that fall has just begun!


Of course, our most favorite Autumn Joy is our daughter who turned 11 on October 1st!!!

Would it surprise you to know that Dreamer's middle names are Autumn Joy?


post signature

10 comments:

  1. I love all your ideas -- and choosing one each day! How fun. It would be a good idea for the Christmas season as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea my kids will love this! Tomorrow we are doing the leave press and leaf coloring. It is so much fun being a homeschool mom. Thanks for all your ideas. Much Love

    Anissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it makes me wish I had kids still at home so we could do that fun project!

    By the way, I substitute the shortening for butter, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Heather,
    many, many thanks for your good solid advice about Sean. I agree 100%.

    Shortly after I blogged about it God showed me that spending special time with him was good... Not just time home schooling, eating etc, but time out of the ordinary.

    I really like what you said about giving him a strong foundation so he can go out into the world from.

    I had hoped that one of my blogger friends would help me out with this one and so I am so very grateful for your help.

    May God bless you indeed for your faithfulness to Him and His children!

    Will you send me the recipe for pumkin pie? Because halloween will be here soon, pumkins will be on sale and I hink I will take the jump and gice it a go!

    I like the names your mum mentione for hot water and milk, now when somebody comments about my drink I will have something interesting to tell them!

    Love the jar idea and 'Happy Birthday Dreamer'.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful ideas! I will have to try those this week! Margret

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute ideas. :) They are simple autum joys. I will have to try those some time. Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,

    What a great idea - and a great list of autumn joys!! (I wish I lived near your house - what fun!) It really makes me miss those younger days with my children. Just wanted you to know that I left you an award on my blog...just to let you know how much I enjoy your blog each day! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!!! I'm going to share this on my blog!! I'll have readers come back over to you, but I always share a Family Tradition on Tuesdays....and this one is perfect!! SO CUTE!! can't wait to start it in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this idea and will have to gather the family around to start planning our own Autumn Joy jar!

    BTW, I am almost done with my first tassel!!! I'll post it once it's complete. I'm soooo excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this idea! Can see how I might can adapt it to Christmas :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!