Friday, October 24, 2008

A perfect day to stay indoors

and catch up on life or just curl up and read! We are having our first rainy day in a long long time. It is dark, cool and pouring rain. I love it! I almost wish we didn't have to do any schoolwork, but we do!We also need to continue sorting through closets and toy bins and I think we will also consume great quantities of hot chocolate to ward off the chill ... maybe with some fresh baked cookies! I hope you are enjoying your day as much as we are!

A friend recently asked me for the Chicken in Phyllo recipe that I used when I did some freezer meals in July, so I thought I'd share it here, now that we have actually eaten it and it was so delicious!


Rosemary Chicken in Phyllo

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese - room temperature
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dried chives
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 t. dried rosemary
12 fresh chicken breast halves, skinned and boned, pounded flat
salt and pepper to taste
24 sheets phyllo dough - thawed ( keep covered)
1 cup melted butter
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese ( for the tops)

Combine first 6 ingredients to make cheese mixture - it will be thick so just mash it together with a fork until it is smooth. Lightly sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place two sheets of phyllo on working surface ( I dusted my cutting board very lightly with cornstarch to keep it from sticking since it was hot in the kitchen). Brush each sheet with melted butter and stack on top of each other. Place 1/12th of the cream cheese mixture in the at one end of the flattened chicken breast and roll. Place chicken roll in one corner of butter phyllo and roll, bringing sides over the middle to form a package. Place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with butter and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes.
To freeze - wrap each one in plastic wrap and place in heavy duty freezer bag
- remove air and freeze. Thaw before baking.
Enjoy!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. YUMMY in my tummy. . . . .

    Heffalump

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh! This recipe sounds SO SO SO delicious. I cannot wait to try it! I'm planning out menus this morning now that I am back home from my parents', and this may be on the line-up for this week. Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These remind me of a special dish that a local restaurant used to make. I was so disappointed when they took it off their menu. I'll have to try making these sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!