Saturday, October 20, 2007

'Free' Saturday


For the first time in two months we have a 'free' Saturday! What a blessing! No time pressures or appointments - and no running out of the house at 8:15am for soccer! The day is bright and cool - 52 degrees, but is expected to be warmer later on - and it is all our own!

We still don't have the heat on in the house but every one is cozy. The Dreamer is cuddled in bed with a book, The Storyteller has 'Prince Caspian', one of the Narnia c.d.'s playing, and The Historian stayed up really late finishing a job in his office, thus earning the right to sleep in. I awakened to a lovely sunrise coming up over the trees and streaming into our bedroom windows, spent some time praising the Lord and promptly went back to sleep! The Storyteller has a stuffy nose and a bit of a cold, and The Dreamer is also coming down with it I think. I have had a sore throat on and off this week, but nothing serious.

I think we better start to get a bit more motivated this morning so that we don't 'waste' the day, but it certainly is a refreshing change to have a day open and unpressed. I really do believe that God intends for us to have these kinds of 'margins' in our weeks so that we have time to 'be still' and know that He is God, at work in our lives. We often fill up our days with so much busyness that we don't have time to listen and wait upon the Lord. I hope to spend some time just doing that today and tomorrow.

This week has had it's ups and downs. The podiatrist replaced my 'defective' cam walker with a new one - which I am to wear. For the next while I can wear good supportive shoes for a couple of hours at a time each day, but the cam walker is still my best friend. I have tried my runners for a couple of hours, and it a difficult adjustment - more uncomfortable than I expected. I will keep trying, but slowly since I don't want to get into great pain like I was before!

We were able to find shoes for both children - good sales at Kohl's, but very few sales people to help out. We also found some pants for The Storyteller - they are all washed and ironed and ready to be hemmed! It wasn't too painful - we got 3 pairs of good leather shoes, 4 pairs of pants, and 4 tops in about 2 hours of shopping - that works for me.

On Thursday I went to have my varicose veins looked at, had an ultrasound and found out that they can't fix them until they fix something the doctor called 'arterial reflux' in both legs. It just means that the valves in the secondary arteries do not close and open - they are 'stuck' open allowing the pooling of blood in my legs. We wait upon our insurance company for approval, but hopefully they will choose to 'cover' it since can be a real problem. I will wear support stockings for a few weeks after the 'procedure' which is now a miner laser correction. It used to be surgery, so I am thankful for medical advancements.

After I am completely healed I will go back and have the varicose veins taken care of - subject to our insurance company's approval, of course. I guess it helps that my legs are at times very painful, not just ugly! Also, though I am young to have so much trouble with my legs, it is definitely inherited. My great grandfather died because of his varicose veins, my grandmother had them badly and often suffered with ulcers that would not heal, and my mum has them also, but thankfully not as badly as I do.

Well everyone is up and wanting some breakfast, so I'd better go for now. We have a few things that must get done, but I'm hoping to have some time for crafting and creating, as well as a bit of tidying and cleaning!

I'd love to hear about the ways you are spending this day - hopefully with those you love! Do take some time to enjoy the beauty of it, even if it is pouring rain in your part of the world!

2 comments:

  1. It was nice to hear how you are and the update on your foot, etc. I hope things go well with your varicose veins -- they do not sound like fun.
    It is a perfect October day here in the Midwest and I am enjoying it from my bed, definately feeling better than most of the week, which has been a very hard one. But, I am praising the Lord for the joy of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your week has been hard Heather , but I'm glad that today is better! I love your attitude - we do need to keep on praising the Lord! I hope you have had the windows open and are enjoying the fresh breezes - it is warm and wonderful in our little corner of 'the midwest' and the air is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!