Monday, October 8, 2007

Books & Blessings


I'll start with the blessings! I am happy to report that my foot is really beginning to heal - it's not 100%, but is so much improved, that I can finally see the end of all this inconvenience. I can sleep better at night, and that is hopefully making a big difference in my personality too - I'm sure my whole family will be glad when 'snarky momma' leaves for good!

My Daily Snippet made me smile this morning:


"Love not sleep lest thy come to poverty. Open thine eyes and thou shalt be satisfied with bread." Proverbs 20:13

I can easily see how easy it is to 'love sleep'. When I am discouraged or in pain, sleep is really my friend, but I don't get anything else accomplished, and that leads to more discouragement! It's great to see how practical God's word is in my day to day life! Time to start setting the alarm early again and getting the day started at a better time!

With all of the sitting around, I am getting to do a bit more light reading than usual. I'm also gaining weight - but let's try to focus on the positive here!

My Bible study is still very much keeping my interest, and it has been a real blessing. I think I mentioned it is a Beth Moore study entitled A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place and it is a study of the tabernacle. It has really been enjoyable and I'm learning things each day, though I have read the passages before. She has done all of the 'hard work' for us, comparing commentaries and digging into the original language, and she brings a refreshing perspective.

I also really enjoyed Pocketful of Pinecones by Karen Andreola. It has inspired me to enjoy nature study on a regular basis with the children, it has introduced me to more of the ideas of Charlotte Mason and added some classic poetry to my files. I found the story to be heartwarming and encouraging, so all in all it was well worth reading.

The Parting by Beverly Lewis made me happy-sad, and left me waiting for the next book in the series. It was light and easy to read, but also inspired me to get out my Amish cookbook and hunt for some pumpkin recipes. It also has some little morsels of history and Biblical truth that warmed my heart and made me smile.

I don't usually take to much time with catalogues, but the Thanksgiving Pottery Barn catalogue is simply pretty. Catalogue stylists can really be inspiring - after all their job depends on how nicely they decorate. It has me hunting through my fall decorations and other household pretties to put together my imitation of the 'look' and I even have a page pulled out to match a paint color. It's always a bit of fun to add up the cost of all of their products and see how much I save by using something I have at home to achieve a similar look.

I finished another Grace Livingston Hill classic entitled Unto The End. I hadn't read this one before and it was a bit of a departure. There were less delightful homemaking scenes, and more thrift and economy. The heart of the book is a young woman, who realizing too late the shallow character of her husband, hastily chosen, makes a decision to stick with him come what may. She artfully shields her children from her husband's lack of moral character, successfully thwarts his baser instincts and saves her family from disgrace and financial disaster. Quite an inspiring heroine.


My thirst for all things lovely was satisfied with another library find entitled The Pantry: It's History and Modern Uses by Catherine Pond. Lots of lovely pictures to look at and be inspired by and also a good bit of interesting history.


I did mention it was light reading, didn't I? My brain isn't really able to absorb much else at this time, and I have been looking for reading to inspire as well as take my mind off my discomfort. There are about 4 more books on my nightstand, but all unfinished, so I'll share them another day!

I'd better end with a blessing also - this blessing is for you! I would like to wish you a very Happy Canadian Thanksgiving today! Usually I would have a turkey in the oven and some friends come for supper to share an early Thanksgiving with them, but my foot isn't up to that today. Never the less, it is a day to be thankful. God's blessings are abundant and His mercies are new every morning!

3 comments:

  1. i didn't realize you are in Canada, or are Canadian, since you are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you, Heather!
    I enjoyed hearing about the books you have read. I love Pocketful of Pinecones. I always want to move out to the country after I read it. :0)

    I'm so glad to hear that your foot is feeling better..yay!

    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - I am Canadian - but we live in the Midwest. I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on my accent - folks here do! I'm often asked where I'm from!

    Kelli - I finished the book and started looking at the real estate listings! Oh to be on a farm and have a few chickens and a big garden - no outhouse though thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!