Thursday, October 11, 2007

Creamy White Cookies

I was recently reading an article about building relationships with your children in the kitchen by baking cookies with them. I thought it looked like an interesting article, but I was shocked to read the very first paragraph was encouraging moms to buy pre-made cookie dough! At first I thought it was an insult to the intelligence of women - after all, what can be easier than cookie dough?

I thought about the great science and math lessons that would be lost in just purchasing dough. I guess it would be a bit quicker, but it only takes about 5 minutes to make dough, and a whole lot longer to go shopping! Then I thought about the cost of those cookie rolls and all of the chemicals graciously included! Definitely not something our children should be eating!

In our young married years, I struggled a bit with rolled out cookies. I had a horrible rolling pin and it stuck to everything, no matter how much flour I used. It took me a couple of trys to find this fool proof, super easy to roll out, no chilling required, always delicious cookie dough recipe. If you are looking for a basic cookie - this is it! Maybe if everyone had this recipe, the packaged cookie dough company would go out of business!



Creamy White Cookies

Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream together:
½ cup soft butter
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
½ cup cream (whipping, heavy, half and half - anything works!)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract


Sift together:
3 cups all purpose flour (robin hood , five roses or some other good quality flour without a bunch of additives)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt

Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll on floured surface to ¼ thickness. Cut out. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Make 2 1/2 dozen satisfyingly thick and soft cookies!


Variations:
1. Make your favorite icing and ice after baking.
2. Sprinkle with colored sugar before baking.
3. Use lemon or almond extract in place of the vanilla.
4. Use for Date Filled Cookies
Date Filling:
Combine 1 ½ cups of coarsely chopped dates, ½ cup water and 1 ½ tsp lemon juice in heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Cool. Cut Creamy White Cookie dough into 3 1/2 inch rounds and place 1 teaspoon of filling in the middle. Fold in half to form a ½ moon shape. Press edges lightly to seal. Bake 12-14 minutes. Dust with icing sugar while warm. Cool completely and smile sweetly when your husband tells you that they taste just like his grandma’s cookies! Best eaten the day they are made.

3 comments:

  1. I just did a cut and paste and sent it to my daughter (with a heads up to your blog).

    We are both always looking for recipes like this since my grandson, David, is on a special diet. This one fits!

    I copied myself on the e-mail to print the recipe out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies sound so good! I saved your post in my bloglines clippings so I can come back and make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I'm always on the look out for easy cookie recipes especially ones that you can put icing on.

    As always, I enjoyed reading about your week.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!