Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cushions Completed!

If you remember this post on my crazy outdoor cushion project, you'll know I was going way beyond my sewing expertise in order to save money and keep our cheap old patio set out of the landfill for at least one or two more seasons! I ran into a major obstacle when my sewing machine could not handle the final sewing of the back cushion to the seat cushion, so I ended up taking much more time than I had planned. I completed the project by hand sewing closely with upholstery thread and a cording needle (after breaking three regular hand sewing needles!). I have the callouses to prove that it wasn't easy! I even covered some buttons to finish them up nicely.


They have been complete for a few weeks, but then we started to have our pergola freshly primed and painted, so I kept the cushions indoors until that was completed. The man who sometimes paints for us is good, but a bit messy! He was working in our little job between the weather and his other customers, so it took much longer than we had hoped. Finally, it has all come together and I am very happy with the end result!


Peppermint, the cat, has already claimed the chaise lounge - and we are trying to figure out how to keep him off it, but I am afraid it is an impossibility.


Welcome to our back patio!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a professional job! It is beautiful.

    Uh...we've had our two cats for sixteen years now. I have found if they want to sleep somewhere, they will.

    My husband keeps threatening them with kitty obedience school but they look at us and yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 15, 2007

    I can't believe you made the cushions. They look fantastic, and the material is so pretty. Now you can enjoy your patio for the rest of the summer-woo hoo!
    jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did a great job! I like the fabric combination you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your work is beautiful, Heather!! You are a diligent worker and it payed off. Your cushions are gorgeous...I love the floral print and the strips on the back. I don't blame Peppermint at all for taking over the lounge chair..hehe.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome cushions! very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job on those cushions. I am proud of you for resisting the urge to toss everything and buy new things. That is a discipline that I am working on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am simply amazed at your handiwork! Just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    Brenda - kitty obedience school sounds good - do they take children?

    I was happy with the fabric too - it goes so well with the old frames! I found it a JoAnn Fabrics and it is an outdoor fabric - thankfully it was 50% off when I bought it. Thread, batting and material - all on sale came to $95.

    Just in case you ever cover cushions and you choose( in a moment of crazy insanity) to make piping for them - each chair took 5 yards of piping!!!! I was making bias strips for 4 hours one evening and still didn't have enough!


    I added one more layer of mold proof batting to the cushions, but the insides are all recycled from the old set!

    I'm just glad to be finished and have it all set up!

    Now, I'm going out with a lemonade to rest on the chaise - after I kick kitty off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - be VERY proud of yourself, Heather :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a fabulous job.

    Love, Heather P.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!