Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Indoor Picnic


Knowing the storms were on their way, we chased the children outside to play right after brunch! They had a lovely time until the heavens opened up and the rain began in earnest - what a downpour! Too wet to picnic outside or even to brave it under the pergola - it leaks like a sieve! So, we went to plan 'c' - an indoor picnic! The Dreamer decorated for the occasion!


We read the Declaration of Independence and discussed the errors of King George and his loyal sympathizers arguments as well. We talked about the good Americans have done in the world, and the nations that have been saved because of American intervention at critical junctures. We talked about God's plan for the world and His way of working all things together for His own purposes. I think I learned as much as the children!


Thankfully, the storm ended and we even saw sunshine again briefly - dry enough for a brilliant fireworks display! The children had a lovely time - I'm too practical to truly enjoy fireworks, but I do try hard! I'd be thrilled if every community gave what they spent on fireworks to their local shelters, food pantry or Habitat for Humanity! Of course, that would leave the fireworks folks out of work and that's not a good thing either! My solutions are always too simplified!


We will be back to our normal schedule tomorrow - and a lot of post renovation tidy up! I'll post the pictures of our COMPLETED bathroom then! I do hope you have had a lovely Fourth of July with those you love!

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you made the best of your rainy day, Heather! Your indoor picnic looks delicious and I love the little flags! Are those frozen grapes I see? YUM!

    Oh, I wanted to tell you that Phillip uses photoshop for my header. I pick the pictures and he does the rest!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inside picnic looked so festive and inviting. I would love to have been there for the reading of the Declaration of Independence and the discussion. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelli - we had a fun time together! Thank you for the tip! I'll be looking into Photoshop - I think it is an Adobe product though and they are big into suporting Planned Parenthood, which we don't support.


    Thank you Lallee! Our Dreamer has a gift for making things festive! It was a good discussion really - we 'lost' the Storyteller about 1/2 way through, but he's just turning 7, so that was expected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I was just curious as to whether you had a Canada Day celebration as well?

    Happy Canada Day! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy - yes, we did, but it was simplified because I wasn't feeling well. We sang 'Happy 140th' to our home and native land and listened to 'Way up in Canada' while we ate a snack of slightly stale chocolate Smarties - which are not available here. I forgot to get out my three Canada Bears, but the kids wore Maple Leaf bandanas and flag flashers that mum sent from the dollar store last year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!