Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mama Joy's Meatballs

As promised yesterday - my Mum's recipe for meatballs. These are seriously yummy! My Mum is the very best cook I know - anyone who knows her will tell you about the delicious food she makes! My Dad is terrificly blessed. I know our children will be coming home asking me to make things special like Grammy makes them!

To be fair, it's the Historian who usually makes Mama Joy's Meatballs around here - he has 'the touch' to make tender meatballs. I get totally grossed out when handling raw meat with raw egg added - as in meatloaf or meatballs!! Texture issues I guess! Yesterday I 'cheated' and used my extra large cookie or mashed potato scoop - and they were all uniform but a bit on the big side. I didn't have to touch the meat, so it was quite do-able!


Mama Joy's Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

1 medium onion, minced

4-6 cloves of garlic minced (I use 4, the Historian uses 6 and Mum? The sky is the limit!)

1 tsp. sea salt

1 tsp. fresh ground pepper

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 beaten egg

1/4 cup dry bread crumbs - very fine is best (I often grate toasted bread)

2 Tbsp. prepared spaghetti sauce - Ragu, Prego and Bertolli and Meijer's all have decent organic sauces now and that's what I use unless I have my home canned - but I never make enough!

1 or 2 more jars of prepared spaghetti sauce

Gently combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl - do not over work the meat or it will be tough; form balls. Place in glass 9"x13" baking dish and cover with extra prepared spaghetti sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Drain any floating fat with a turkey baster. Serve over your favorite fresh cooked pasta, with a nice salad and crusty garlic bread or maybe Kelli's Garlic Twists! We always put our water or grape juice in stemmed glasses, have candles on the table and play romantic 'Italian' music while we eat Mama Joy's meatballs! It only takes a minute to make an ordinary meal something more memorable - and now if I forget, I have two willing helpers who will set it up just right for us! They usually use enough candles to burn the house down, but it's the thought, right?


Last night's supper was Chicken Tortilla Soup and it was really tasty!
I brushed olive oil on soft flat bread and sprinkled it with a bit of taco seasoning
before cutting it in strips with my pizza cutter.
I baked them until they were crisp before garnishing the soup!


post signature

10 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I just got to my sister's and saw that you posted on my blog. I clicked on yours...it's beautiful! I can't wait to sit and read through it to get to know you better! Your recipes look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah and welcome - I hope you have a delightful time with your sister! Leave a few wonderful finds at the thrift stores for other special folks to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    I posted the Dilly Bean recipe. Enjoy. I was going to make them today but my canner got a very small crack in the bottom and had to go get another one. We got the last one in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen - I appreciate you posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! Found you from over at Sarah's. That is some seriously good-looking food. I am gonna get busy and write some down on my recipe cards...especially the meatballs. Come visit sometime. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, again. I didn't see a place to email you (even if you had one my computer has a failing in it--I can't just click on the email me buttons!! ) But I was going to ask you about the liver disorder, you mention swelling--is that mainly in your tummy area? Also what kind of pain do you get and where? Just curious--I hope my condition will improve--they don't know what causes my enzme levels to go up at times (like I said, it is common with people with gluten alergies, so I hope that is what mine is!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nannykim - I e-mailed you with my reply! I hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, I didn't get the email as of 10:18 eastern standard time. Did you mail it to my hotmail?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! That looks so good, Heather! Thank you for the recipe!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited to make this recipe! Ever since you mentioned the meatballs in a previous post, I have been thinking about them! hehe! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!