Friday, July 11, 2008

4 Compelling Reasons

What do you do when your almost 8 year old boy presents you with four compelling reasons to do something that you are not sure he's really mature enough to do? Well, if it is 9:30 at night and your brain has retired for the evening, it might just go something like this.

Storyteller: 'Momma, I really want to go tomorrow with Daddy to Mr. Glen's funeral.'

Momma: 'Ah, Chum, I know you do, but it is going to be a really long day, and even Mommy isn't feeling up to going with Daddy, though I'd like to be there too. It's more than six hours in the car, and you'd have to be very quiet and respectful during what might be a long funeral service. Glen is with the Lord, so we're not sorrowing like those who have no hope, but it is a very hard thing and many will be crying.'

Storyteller: 'Momma, I really want to go.'

Momma: 'It's nice that you want to keep Daddy company, Bud, but Farmer Dave will be riding along with Daddy and they will be just fine. Remember, that's why we tidied up the van after supper?'

Storyteller: 'I know, but you don't understand Momma, I really need to go.'

Momma: 'Why, Bud?'

Storyteller: (big smile - I think I've got her attention now) 'Well, for one thing, I need to pay my last respects to Mr. Glen. He was a great young man, even though I didn't know him very well. For another, I need to honor Pastor Lynn and Mrs. Suzie and their grown-up girls. Their family has suffered a great loss. Tomorrow is my only chance to support them this way. And, it's a been long time since I've been to a funeral and I need to remember the solemnity of life.' (the Momma brain finally comes back on ...I need to remember this, I need to remember this, I need .... hey wait a minute!)

Momma: 'Um, do you know what 'solemnity' means, Chum?'

Storyteller: 'Yeah, it means sad and serious - like the kitchen servant who inspired C.S. Lewis to create the character of Puddleglum. He always saw the solemnity of life.'

Momma: 'Ah. I should have known. Well, do you have any other reasons?'

Storyteller: 'Mommy, (a bit exasperated) do I really need more than four compelling reasons? I don't have another reason. (big grin) I really want to go. Please?'

Momma: 'Alright, Bud. Daddy and I will talk it over again, and if it's alright with him, it's alright with me. Will you give Pastor Lynn and Mrs. Suzie big hugs and give them my love?'

Storyteller: 'Yes, Momma. I'll be an ambassador for the girls of our family, since Sister gets car sick in the back seat and can't go either.'

Momma: ' Thank you. I love you, Bud. I think God is very pleased with your compassionate heart - and I know I am! Now, get back to bed!'

What a boy! One minute he is like a five year old, getting into everything, making countless messes, avoiding bedtime and being far far too noisy, and the next, he has grown beyond me, and shows understanding far beyond his just shy of 8 years. Both of our children are marvelous gifts from God, but this is the child that has me continually seeking God's wisdom and patience, and wondering if perhaps He ought to have chosen much wiser parents for this unique little boy.

Before Storyteller finally went to sleep, The Historian went over it with him again, and painted a pretty realistic picture of the long day ahead. He also warned him that he was only going to awaken him once, and if he wasn't up, he would need to stay home. This morning, Daddy kept his promise to awaken him. Storyteller was in and out of the bathroom, dressed and out at the table for breakfast within 5 minutes. Eyes half closed, one still swollen shut from a bad mosquito bite, but he was there.

We've been thinking and praying about this dear family all day, and for our guys - praying their presence will bring a measure of comfort to those who have lost so suddenly.

2 Corinthians 1:2-4

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,

who comforts us in all our tribulation,

that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble,

with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

New King James Version



post signature

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 11, 2008

    My heart sings when I here of the wisdom of this little guy Honey !
    I am really, really looking forward to having he and sister here for a visit soon. I know we'll be blessed by their visit in many special ways.

    Our hearts go our to pastor Lynn and Suzie. But He alone is our strength and our guide. He alon is our shiel and our fortification.

    Love You, and we'll talks soon.

    PS. . . picked 9 baskets of strawberries in 1 hour. They are sooooo good, sweet, delicious.

    Heffalump

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is such an inspiration. I pray that both of my boys will mimic his heart for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's so sweet. I hope the trip went as well as possible. What a hard loss for your pastor, and all of you that knew this man.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!