Friday, July 18, 2008

Rich Hot Fudge Sauce

July birthdays just call for Ice Cream Cakes, don't they? Our Storyteller thinks so, though for some reason he doesn't remember his last ice cream cake! He placed his order though, for a custom cake by Momma and this afternoon, I made it. We will have to eat it one day early though, since tomorrow, his real birthday, we will be on the road to Poppa and Grammy, Lord willing. While making our Storyteller's special request, I realized I was out of fudge sauce, so I made a batch of 'Rich Hot Fudge Sauce'. I thought I had shared this recipe with you all before, but I searched my blog and discovered my oversight. It is sooooooooo good - it must be shared! So, without further ado, may I present,

Rich Hot Fudge Sauce
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup cocoa ( I like the dutch process cocoa)
3/4 cup whipping cream
pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter

In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine sugar, salt and cocoa with a whisk. Slowly stir in cream until combined using whisk to smooth out any lumps. Heat over medium continuously whisking until it comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Take off heat. Add butter and vanilla. Stir until combined. Allow to cool for 5 minute before pouring over your favorite ice cream. Store in covered jar in the fridge for up to one week. Can be reheated in microwave as needed. If it gets too thick add a tablespoon of boiling water and stir until smooth. Makes one generous cup of rich fudge topping.

Note: The Storyteller came up with a real winning flavor combination for his Ice Cream Cake! It must come of listening to 'The Boxcar Children and the Chocolate Sundae Mystery' recently! Here was his special 'order':
  1. Toasted slivered almonds
  2. Vanilla ice cream ( Breyer's all natural)
  3. Rich Hot Fudge Sauce
  4. Vanilla ice cream ( Breyer's all natural)
  5. Raspberry Sauce
  6. Vanilla ice cream ( Breyer's all natural)
  7. Rich Hot Fudge Sauce
  8. Toasted slivered almonds
    I made it in a loaf pan, froze it for about 4 hours, and served it sliced. It would easily serve 8 hungry birthday party guests. I sliced up the whole carton of ice cream and just squished the layers together. It looked pretty when we cut it in 3/4 inch slices. Enjoy!


    post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Heather! In answer to your comment, I've never heard of Mrs. Meyers or 7th Generation, so you must have me mixed up with someone else. Sorry I couldn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That sounds sooooo yummy, Heather! Happy Birthday to your son!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 20, 2008

    I briefly saw this blur in the church parking lot today that remarkably resembled your Storyteller ;) He went by so quickly it was hard to tell. =)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that sounds good....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!