Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ready ... set ... cook!

Tomorrow is the day I have set aside for putting some meals in the freezer. 10 meals is the goal, but we'll see how it goes. I'm using some recipes from 'Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer' and tonight I did the 'big grocery shop' to stock up on everything I needed for my selected recipes. I have checked the pantry for required staples and I think I am all ready to go!

I brewed a big batch of black raspberry ice tea to keep me going too!

Since this is just a trial run on five of the recipes, I am making the single batch amount for each this time. Some of the single recipes are large enough to do for two meals for our little family of four. I'm also doing a couple of our old favorites.

I used to do 'Once A Month Cooking' - rarely for the whole month, but often the two week plan. It was fun and very satisfying to have meals ahead, but somehow I got away from that level of regular organization when our Storyteller became an active one year old!!! Hmmm. Funny how that happens. I have continued to double up on dinners and put one in the freezer occasionally, but not as often as I would like to. Maybe this will inspire me to get back to it.

I am hoping that this won't take more then 5 hours, but we'll see how I do! I've already been praying for strength and a good day of clear thinking. I've even picked out some ministry c.d.'s to listen to!

Here is my final selection:

Chicken Tortilla Soup
French Onion Soup
Manicotti
Buttermilk Herb Chicken Breasts
Chicken in Phyllo
Italian Stuffed Chicken
Sloppy Joes
Mama's Joy's Meatballs

I used the food sales to help me choose the menu - as you can tell, chicken and ground beef are the best deals for this week, and ricotta was on too, along with the manicotti noodles, which tend to be pricey. Onions were super cheap. Even the buttermilk was on sale. If all goes as planned 10 meals for a family of four will cost about $56 or $5.60 per night - slightly higher than the author's projected cost of $3.75-$4.25, but since food costs have risen about 9% percent just in the last year, and the book has a 2005 publication date, I think it's about right. I didn't include the soup in the tally since I plan to use if for lunches. I will try to plan better another time and find better deals. I stuck to my 'close to home' stores since I didn't want my meat to rot in the heat, and I was pretty much wilted myself!

Now, I am off to read another chapter of 'From Clutter to Clarity: Simplifying Life from the Inside Out' and get a really good night's sleep. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!



If I have any energy left I might make another tassel or two ... I'm telling you it's addictive!
This one is hanging from the brown palm fan in our sun room and has already made my life easier -
I don't have to jump to turn on the light!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to let us know how the cooking goes! i love having meals in the freezer, but it is hard to get them there. :) Company is gone now so it's time to unwind a bit and try to get life organized again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past year, I have "experimented" with cooking extra and freezing what I can. So far, it has been REALLY nice and fairly easy, and I really haven't noticed that much of a change in my expenses. I really wish I was more organized with it, like the OAMC or even twice a month. I'm not pregnant yet with a second child, but when the time comes, I definitely hope to be more prepared with freezer meals for the post-partum period. That would be so nice...

    Mmm...the buttermilk & herb chicken sounds yummy, and the chicken in phyllo... How do you make them? Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!