Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fluent Whine-ese


I've been lying to our children for years - and just discovered it this week! I do speak fluent Whine-ese, when I really didn't think I could!



You see, I have always disliked whining. So, when we hear little voices whining in our home I usually say, "I'm sorry! Could you please speak English? You see, I don't speak Whine-ese!" Or sometimes I'll say, "I speak English, bits of French and a smattering of Spanish, but I don't recognize your language! Is that Whine-ese, I am hearing?" Usually the children immediately realize that there are going nowhere with their whining tone and revert to a more acceptable form of communication! There have been times when we have implemented the Whine Fine - $.25 for every whine! It's all been fairly effective and usually lightens the mood and gets us back on track.




This week I've found my fluency in this terrible language of complaint and dissatisfaction - though thankfully I think I've kept most of it in my head! Not all of it though! I've had to do a fair bit of apologising for whining myself this week.




I am having a hard time adjusting to the walking cast, difficulty coping with the pain, trouble sleeping, trouble with children who always seem to know when I am at my worst and decide to follow suit and a hard time understanding why 'just one more thing' has happened.




My mum called this morning from their hotel and listened to my woes for a while. She was concerned because I haven't been blogging much this week. She uses my blogging as a barometer for my well-being, which is probably not too far off, since I live by the old adage that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! This blog post will be an exception, I hope! I just don't feel like I have anything positive to share right now.




This morning while I was struggling to make the beds, I was struck with this thought. Isn't is a blessing that my faith in God is not based in my feelings? My feelings are so fickle. We're going through a bit of a bump here - and I don't feel good about getting through one more hard thing. I don't feel like a vibrant victorious Christian this week, and I'm thinking my witness for Christ is pretty ineffective with all this whining and complaining.



My faith is based in the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross. I was saved from my sin by His death, I have victory in this life because of His resurrection. I have placed my trust in Him, accepted His free gift of salvation, and I am not to be ruled by my feelings. I know without a doubt that God is able to keep us through this small trial, and will allow this time to be a blessing as we seek His strength and encouragement.



My prayer is that I will be able to be patient throughout the healing process, that I will keep on trusting, keep on following, and that through it all, God will be glorified.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    thanks for honestly sharing your feelings. I often wonder if I'm coming across to others (ie my family) as complaining too much about how I feel, etc. etc. and then I wish people (my family) would be more sympathetic, etc. etc. And then I say to myself, "but this is so hard..." I'm finding it very hard not to compare to what all my friends are able to do right now -- go to church fellowship activities, go on fun outings, go thrift-store shopping, do this, do that. I am praying each day that the Lord will help me to have a good attitude and not be selfish, and I know I fail many times. I'll be praying for you this week as we both try to evidence the fruit of the Spirit at home and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the Whine Fine! :) I'm praying that this coming week will be better for you. Thank the Lord that even though our feelings may be fickle, He is unchanging! New mercies are ours every morning! Blessings ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty, Heather! I get the "whiners" (as I call them!) once in awhile too. Sometimes it helps to just talk through things. I wish I lived closer so I could help you out until your leg heals. I'll be praying for you and here are some (((hugs))) as well!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather, it is hard not to whine in such circumstances, but God will be glorified by your patience and peace. I will pray for you tonight, for healing and total loss of the ability to speak whinese!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!