Sunday, February 11, 2007

Quietly on to 40


I can't deny it any longer - I'm now forty years old! I still cannot believe it, and my poor parents are in a state of shock! How can their youngest be 40? As of supper time today, I am no longer in my 30's! I've decided not to stress about it, but it is rather unsettling.

We enjoyed a quiet celebration today. This morning we went to worship with our church family - I had the privilege of teaching Junior Church this week. I really didn't feel like doing it, because I have been plagued with a sinus headache for a few days, but it was good to be there and good to share the truth of God's Word with the children. I made a pan of brownies for their snack and they really liked that part!

We went out for lunch to a favorite restaurant, but I threatened my family in the severest terms - they were not to tell our waitstaff about my birthday! I have never enjoyed the thought of strangers singing a compulsory 'Happy Birthday' to me in a restaurant, and I am too shy to be thus singled out in public. We had a lovely time and a nice relaxing afternoon - then out again for salads and cake for dinner! I feel very spoiled! Next year, I am expecting our then 10 year old Dreamer to be capable of whipping up some sort of cake, but for this year Cracker Barrel's Cola Cake was a fine substitute for homemade.

The only hard part of this day was being separated from my parents by almost 700 miles. Though we have just had a lengthy visit with my Mum, it was still hard to be apart on this day! We had a good long talk on the phone while I opened my gifts from Dad and Mum. I took a picture of my pretty flowers for my mom to see!

I don't feel too much older! I have been praying about my 40th year. I know my Mum thoroughly enjoyed her forties and I plan to do the same! I am comfortable in my skin and content with all the wonderful gifts God has given to me. I feel so incredibly blessed and loved. I continue to pray for better health and daily wisdom, and I pray for a deepening of my relationship with the Lord. I want 'for me to live is Christ' to be ever more truthful, though I see so many areas where I know I continue to live for self.

So, I am quietly on to forty now, and glad to be passing this milestone! I don't have to worry about it any longer!

My 'big gift' from my Historian is to be a good used truck! I have thought for a long time how handy a truck would be - and with spring just a few months away, I know I will be at the garden centre. Our van has been used for 'trucking' far too often! I need manure for the garden, and mulch. We could use a few trees, and a yard or two of topsoil. There will be more perennials to buy this year, and maybe a bench for the garden. I'd like to find a few dozen nice rocks to start a bit of a rockery. We need to haul those branches to the city compost .... oh yes, a truck will be well used! We have a farmer friend who buys good used trucks at auction so we'll have to talk to him about it. It has to run, and not be too hard to keep running! After all I need to get to the garden centre! And home! A women in her forties should not be hitch hiking, after all!

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Honey !

    I was there 25 years ago and well remember "turning the big 4 - 0 ".

    Glad to hear you had a great day.


    I love you a whole lot, and am proud of my youngest daughter, her accomplishments, and her love for God.

    Talk soon "baby".

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing daughter!
    Even on your special birthday you
    served the Lord by sharing with the children at Church, ignored your headache and ate out which is always enjoyable for the four of you. I'm so thankful for you and missed you soooooo much to-day.
    But it was good to connect by phone and to know the Historian would make the week-end special.
    My prayer is that you would be given the gift that only God can give.....better health and strength for each new day. Also, I pray you will learn your limits and get more rest.....make yourself and your health more of a priority. You are special and need to take care of you!
    Loving and missing you lots,
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Heather!!! I'm so glad to have met you through this blogging adventure! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday with your family! You'll have to let us know when you find your "new to you" truck, Phillip has one and you are right about them being very handy for gardening projects!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Very Happy Belated Birthday Wish to you!

    But pardon me if I giggle a bit. 'Cause I am coming up on my 70th! :-) See, all is relative.

    Oh and our 'baby' was 42 on his last Birthday. Tell your parents to not be in shock, _yet_. ,-)

    'MN'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    I'm soon to be 49! I've enjoyed my 40's so much. I bet you will, too!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Birthday! Isn't it nice to be comfortable with who and Whose you are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I loved turning 40 for some reason (I'm now a wee bit over 50). It was 30 I had trouble with...go figure.

    I knew you were a woman after my own heart. I have always wanted a truck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, you are a treasured friend and blessing to me. Happy birthday! I pray that God grants you health and energy for your family and continued service for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind birthday wishes! I am so very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated Happy Birthday to you, and my birthday "wish" for you is that the best day of the previous year be the worst day of this coming one.

    I am not quite sure how I'll feel in Sept when I turn 40. Last time I checked I was still 26. Where does the time go?? hehehe

    All I can say is I am more comfortable with myself in my 30's than I ever was in my twenties, and am hoping the 40's follows suit. As one of your friends said "Isn't it nice to be comfortable with who and Whose you are?" What I do know for sure though is that I am more comfortable with who I am because I know Whose I am.

    I am glad you had a good birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to be late to wish you a happy birthday, Heather. I pray that the Lord will bless your 40s with so much joy and contentment and growth in your walk with Him that they become a favourite decade with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!