Sunday, February 25, 2007

Modesty Revisited


Last week at our church fellowship, I was once again dismayed by the immodest clothing worn by many of the young ladies, and even a few 'middle-aged' women. This quote from Cloudy Jewel by Grace Livingston Hill touched my heart this week so I thought I'd share it.

This is Aunt Julia’s response to Leslie’s new dress:

“It’s beautiful, darling, and you are - exquisite! But, dear! It seems terrible for my little girl to go among young men so sort of nakedly. I’m sure if you understood life better, you wouldn’t do it. You are tempting men to wrong thoughts, undressed that way, and you are putting on common view the intimate loveliness of the body God gave you to keep holy and pure. It is the way cheap women have of making many men love them in a careless physical way. I don’t know how to tell you, but it seems terrible to me. If you were my own little girl, I never, never would be willing to have you go out that way.”


Her older brother Allison concurs:

““Well, kid, I must say I agree with Cloudy,” he said half reluctantly at last. “The dress is a peach, of course, and you look like an angel in it; but if you could hear the rotten things the fellows say about the way the girls dress, you would not want to go out that way; and I don’t want them to talk that way about my sister. Couldn’t you stick in a towel or an apron or something, and make a little more waist to the thing? I’m sure you’d look just as pretty, and the fellows would think you a whole lot nicer girl. I don’t want you to get the name of the Freshman Vamp. I couldn’t stand for that.””

Wonderful Aunt Julia comes up with the solution:

“ … but at last Julia Cloud came to the rescue with needle and thread and soft rose drapery made from a scarf of Leslie’s that exactly matched the dress; and presently she stood meek and sweet, and quite modest blooming prettily out of her pink, misty garments like an opening apple blossom in spite of her recent tears.”

Quote from Cloudy Jewel by Grace Livingston Hill

As it becomes increasingly difficult to purchase ready-made modest clothing for our beautiful Dreamer, and even for myself, I find our family talking about the issue of modesty more and more, and marvelling at how quickly we have slipped into acceptance of public exposure, even in the church. We are a nation 'putting on common view the intimate loveliness of the body God gave us to keep holy and pure', even when it comes to our little girls.
I am praying that God will show me a way to be an encouragement towards modesty with our young Christian women. I read some of the results of The Rebelution's Modesty Survey with great interest, and I hope it will go a long way in educating our culture saturated youth - the church of the future.

10 comments:

  1. You are right, it is so hard to find modest clothing for our young ladies. As a parent of a teen we have found that it is especially impossible to find anything in the teen section of the store. We have better luck in the womens or the petites. I am blessed to have a teen that is as concerned about modesty as I am. We were just talking at the store today. She is somewhat concerned about the day that her grandmother or aunt buy her something inappropriate. She is appalled by some of the things her cousin wears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Heather! I don't even like to take my girls through the clothes section at Target because most of them are disgusting. Especially the skirts! I get most of their clothes at various resale shops around town, I like the old fashioned type dresses. Thankfully, they do too! :0)
    I think it is wonderful for you to be an encouragment to young girls on this issue!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the quotes-great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also shop at second hand stores for clothing! We are at the point that The Storyteller is growing so fast that we really ought to just rent his clothes! Good will is great and my mum is wonderful at finding 'treasures' at VV & RR - her two local 'experienced' shops!
    I also sew for the children, but there are times when something is needed quickly and I find it so frustrating not to be able to just buy an item reasonably and modestly!
    Gym pants are my latest pet peeve! 9 year old girls do not have hips and should not be forced to wear yoga style hip hugging low rise sweat pants - but that is all there is in the stores - I've looked! The girls at gym were trying to skip rope (Double Dutch!) the other day and every one had to hold on to her pants with one hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--we have such difficulty finding suitable ready-made clothes. I gave up and have been sewing skirts from a pattern at The King's Daughters. You're right--sometimes it's hard if we need something right away. I've found some really great items at Goodwill. I also buy larger sizes for the girls (because the skirts/dresses are longer) then take in the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link to The King's Daughters - I have been searching for a modest blouse pattern to go under Dreamer's jumpers and there it was! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 63 years old and the way some dress to me is very embarressing. YOU can't go to the store or the doctor or to get gas or anyplace that you don't run across people who are almost without any clothes on their bodies. I guess they haven't been told or read that a fig leave was not enough, God made Adam and Eve coats of animal skins. I wish it was possible for a lot of women these days to realize what they are doing by dressing in such a immodest way or maybe they do know and if so May God forgive them. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is extremely difficult to find modest clothing in the local stores. There are so many great websites though that do offer clothes that are pretty and modest. But, of course that can be like searching for a needle in a haystack! I really like old fashioned type dresses as well. Try visiting SewModest.org for a variety of modest apparel. The website allows anyone to buy or sell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is extremely difficult to find modest clothing in the local stores.
    There are so many great websites though that do offer clothes that are pretty and modest. But, of course that can be like searching for a needle in a haystack! I really like old fashioned type dresses as well. Try
    visiting SewModest.org for a variety of modest apparel. The website allows anyone to buy or sell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip Jennifer Ross! I appreciate your imput!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!