Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's A Keeper - Week #2


I have failed to try any new recipes this week. I did try adding a few more healthy things to my bread recipe, but it is better suited for construction material - it's quite brick-like! You can almost eat it if you slice it thin and toast it and put lots of butter and jam on it! It might take a gallon of tea to wash it down though! Oh well!

I've been exhausted this week - I've gone to bed before supper two nights and just after supper every other night. This morning I awakened with a sore throat and full blown cold, so I guess I've been involved in a battle with germs - and evidently, they won! I thought I was just tired from our big day in the city on Tuesday and from our co-op day Thursday. I was figuring that hibernation is the perfect past time for cold weather ... now I know my body just needed the sleep.

This morning, despite our best efforts, our pipes are frozen. We have a tiny trickle, so there is still hope, but not enough for a shower. Thankfully, things are supposed to warm up a bit today. I am praying that is it enough to keep the pipes from bursting. I really like having water for laundry and showering. And for making tea. Lots and lots of tea.

We did make a batch of old fashioned fudge yesterday, so I'll share this 'oldie but goodie' with you all!

Mum's Old Fashioned Fudge

Generously butter a 8x8" glass pan or the equivalent. Measure 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract into a wee bowl and set aside.

In a deep heavy pot combine:

2 cups white sugar

2 cups brown sugar

4 Tbsp. butter

1/2 cup corn syrup

1 cup milk

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the mixture comes to a boil that cannot be stirred down, set your timer for 8 minutes and continue to boil, stirring gently. If you have a candy thermometer, you need to boil this until it reaches 235-240 degrees F. Remove from heat, add 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract - it will sputter, so do be careful.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Begin beating the hot syrup with a strong wooden spoon until the mixture becomes very thick and looses it's glossy appearance. It's fun to take turns beating the fudge so be sure to share the joy! As soon as it is no longer glossy or shiny, pour it into the buttered pan. Let sit to cool for 15 minutes. Cut into 1" squares and allow to set for about an hour before sampling. If there is any left, it keeps well in an airtight container.

post signature


3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you've been so tired this week, but perhaps you're right that it was your body fighting those germs. i hope that you will not be laid up for too long, and I especially hope that your pipes turn out to be okay.

    The kids and I enjoyed popcorn last night while playing a game. A very nice winter activity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor dear ~ hope that you get plenty of rest and are feeling better soon.

    The fudge sounds delightful!

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this Sunday provided you with rest. . . and a warm shower?
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!