Saturday, January 3, 2009

It's a Keeper - Week #1


Since the month is just 3 days old, I will be forgiven for sharing a couple of super simple recipes, right? I have been wanting to get away from those handy little spice packages that have so many ingredients that I can't pronounce and make my own chili seasoning mix - and so I did!


Chili Seasoning Mix

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup dried minced onion

1 1/2 T. hot chili powder

1 1/2 T. regular chili powder

1 T. crushed red pepper flakes

1 T. garlic powder

1 T. cumin

1 1/2 T. sea salt

1 1/2 T. sugar

Combine thoroughly. Use 1/4 cup to replace one package of season mix for 1 lb. ground meat. We include lots of dark and light kidney beans, diced tomato, and a big can of baked beans in our chili and simmer it for about an hour. We found this seasoning to be mild and flavorful. I wish I could remember where I found this recipe to give credit, but I just hand wrote it on a scrap of paper!


Another Keeper!

I've been making corn meal muffins for years to go with our chili, until recently when we visited a restaurant that served us Skillet Cornbread. It was so much more moist and tender - and quite frankly, just fun to eat out of the old cast iron pan. I've tweeked my muffin recipe considerably and hope you like this as much as we do now!

Skillet Corn Bread

1 cup unbleached white flour

1 cup organic yellow cornmeal - we like Arrowhead Mills

1/2 cup sugar

1 T. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup melted butter
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 10" cast iron skillet.
Mix dry ingredients together. Make a 'well' in the dry ingredients. Combine liquids until thoroughly mixed; pour into dry ingredients ans stir just until moistened. Pour into skillet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges begin to look golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out cleanly. Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges. Serve hot! We like to put the skillet on the table because we're just folks! My original recipe is from 'Muffin Mania' - with a few modifications!


post signature


2 comments:

  1. I love chili...and have always been leery of those envelope mixes but never really had a great alternative. Thanks for the recipe.

    So glad to see you have an etsy shop now. I have always admired your purses. I hope this business is not only profitable but alot of fun for you as well.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing!! I was JUST sitting down to look for a new chili seasoning mix!! I have one, but it's not my favorite. I will definitely be trying yours!!

    Thank you!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!