Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I LOVE that stuff!


Once upon a time when I was a bit more organized, I tried out dozens of new recipes every January! When my family really liked something, it was declared a 'keeper' and added to the regular menu schedule. Life has taken some unexpected turns, and I am far less organized than I once was, but I am still trying to be a little creative in the kitchen. I've settled on Tuesday nights for trying new things - we'll see how long it lasts! Tonight's new 'main dish' involved chicken since I bought 20 lbs of the drug free, hormone free chicken breasts when they were on sale not long ago. When I brought them home and packaged them for the freezer, I started looking through the new cookbooks I got for Christmas. The original recipe looked promising, but when I started to make it tonight, I had to alter it for lack of a few ingredients! The kids loved the result - the Historian and I liked it, but both of us think it could use a bit more flavor. I can't really judge since my taste buds are still affected by the cold. It was tender and juicy and the pretty pink sauce was really attractive. Might be a nice 'Valentine's Day' entree!


Cranberry Chicken Bake

6 Tbs. all purpose flour
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp paprika
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Combine dry ingredients in a bag. Throw in chicken and shake to coat. Keep the left over flour mixture.

2 Tablespoons olive oil

Brown chicken in oil in a large fry pan on medium heat, three minutes per side or until nicely browned. Transfer to large shallow baking dish, well greased. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 F.

½ cup good chicken broth or stock
1 1/2 cups whole berry cooked cranberry sauce ( I used homemade)
½ cup orange juice ( next time I will use frozen orange juice concentrate for more flavor)
¼ cup minced onion
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine leftover flour mixture from bag with chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Pour over chicken and cover with lid or foil. Place in oven and bake 45-50 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Enjoy!


The above picture is my birthday cake - Boston Cream Pie - from Martha Stewart, of course! It would have been delicious, but my oven quit again in the middle of baking, so the normally light sponge cake got a bit rubbery while I tried to coax the old stove into re-heating! We still managed to eat it though! I put the glaze on while the cake was still too warm and it 're-melted' the chocolate causing it to run more than Martha's!

2 comments:

  1. I think your cake looks BETTER than Martha Stewart's! Happy Birthday!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken recipe reminded me of a recipe in "Bethel's Bounty" (I think the 2nd one) for a chicken salad. It's a great salad only there is a typo there someone missed and instead of calling for chicken breasts it asks for "chicken beasts". As I have yet to find a "chicken beast" I haven't yet made the recipe up as it calls for ;)

    I am glad you had a great birthday.

    nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!