Friday, February 29, 2008

The Cousins are coming! Oh My!

In just over one week, The Cousins (three boys ages 8, 10 & 12) are coming for their first ever visit to our home! Could my crew be any more excited? My sister and Mum are coming too, incidentally! We are so excited! Shopping, visiting, playing, museums - and a smattering of homeschool too! This visit has entailed much planning and preparation - including figuring out a menu to please three boys who are picky eaters.

Since many of their favorite meals are not brands we have available here in the Midwest, they are just going to have to expand their horizons! I've tried to make it kid friendly, economical, somewhat healthy and fun (they are on their March Break from school) and simple to prepare - so here goes! As much as possible will be made ahead next week and frozen so that our visit will be relaxing and (hopefully) stress free! I've been glad to see great sales on 'normal' cold cereal ( non-sugary) since that is what the boys are used to for breakfast. I don't think they would like the organic varieties we often buy! That might just be asking too much!

Sunday

Breakfast:
Cold Cereal ~ Fresh Fruit ~ Cinnamon Rolls & Butter ~ Milk & Juice

Lunch:
Jellied Salad ~ Rolls & Butter ~ Pickles
Cheesy Potato Bake~Rolled Chicken Washington ~ Steamed Broccoli
7 Layer Chocolate Pie ( for my big sister who loves it!)

Snack:
Young’s Dairy Ice Cream

Light Supper:
Veggies & Dip ~ Edible Fruit Arrangement
Cheese Ball & Crackers ~ Sliced Meat Tray

Monday
Breakfast:
Waffles & Blueberry Syrup ~Scrambled Eggs
Grapefruit ½’s ~ Milk & Juice

Lunch:
Ham & Cheese Bunwiches
Chips / Veggie assortment
Cookies ~ Jello Jigglers

Snack:
Cut Apples & Caramel Dip

Supper:
Bread Sticks ~ Romaine Salad
Lasagna
Ice Cream Cake


Tuesday
Breakfast:
Cold Cereal ~ Banana Bread
Fruit Smoothies or Yogurt

Lunch:
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup ~ Tea Biscuits
Cookies & Milk

Supper:
Cooks Ham Steak ~ Corn ~ Baked Beans
Potato Salad ~ Angel Food Cake


Wednesday
Breakfast:
Cold Cereal ~ Fresh Fruit Kabobs
Muffins That Taste Like Donuts
Milk & Juice

Lunch:
Snuggli Dogs ~ Chips ~ Green & Red Grapes

Snack:
Cheese & Crackers

Supper:
Beef Enchiladas ~ Chips & Salsa ~ Spanish Rice & Beans
Brownie Volcano


Thursday
Breakfast:
Blueberry Pancakes & Maple Syrup
Crisp Bacon ~ Orange Slices ~ Milk & Juice

Lunch
Mac &Cheese (Annie's Organic box)
Fruits & Veggies
Ice Cream Sandwiches

Snack:
Soft Pretzels

Supper:
Baked Chicken Tenders ~ Oven Potato Wedges ~
Steamed Baby Carrots ~ Corn Meal Muffins
Boston Cream Pie


Friday
Breakfast:
Cold Cereal ~ Fresh Fruit Kabobs
Raspberry Coffee Cake
Yogurt ~ Milk & Juice

Lunch:
Make Your Own Taco’s ~ (hard & soft)
Tortilla Chips & Salsa Dip

Snack:
Popcorn & Apple Wedges

Supper:
Make Your Own Pizza/Stromboli
Veggies & Dip ~ Assorted Fruits


Saturday
Breakfast:
Cold Cereal ~ Maple Muffins ~ Fresh Fruit Cup & Yogurt
Milk & Juice

Packed Lunches for journey?


I have made up the dry ingredients for my biscuit recipe and put it in the fridge - the wet ingredients will be added later. I have a big batch of my regular pancake mix ready to make and store - again adding the wet ingredients when the time comes. I have all of my recipes organized and will set out the breakfast things the night before, as usual. I often do that just for our everyday, since mornings are not my most coherent time! I have made out a grocery list and shopped my pantry to make sure I have staples on hand - so all in all, food-wise, I think we are set!

And now ... to clean the house! Oh my! So much for my thorough spring cleaning plan - it's the ' just do the best we can' plan now! Oh well!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Oh what fun!!! I hope you all have a very special week together!!

    Your menu looks terrific! I always love coming up with a menu for extended guests.

    i finally got some bulbs stuck in dishes and vases today -- hopefully they will bloom (i found them in the garage and they had little tips sticking up, so I'm hoping!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of sneaking Sweetpea and I into your Mom's car ;) It sounds like a great time to be had by all.

    I'm taking notes on your organization. I need all the help I can get in that department. I try, but I'm not always the most organized and of late I've been becoming a scatterbrain feather head too!

    My parents are in Fla so I guess you could say I'm having a "stay at home vacation" of my own right now.

    You and your family remain in my prayers.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting, Heather! Cousins are always fun. Your menu sounds delicious, YUM!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather.... Your Youngs' ice cream just stuck out at me... I live in NC now, but since you're in the midwest... are you near my hometown???? I'll not post it here but I have spent much time at Young's, wandering through pine forests in certain state parks and even went to college at Wittenberg....
    .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!