Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday #3

* with apologies to those who do not eat meat



We love the economy of a nice roast. The first meal is wonderful and the leftovers can be stretched for one or two more meals at least - especially if there are flavorful 'juices' to make into soup or gravy. My problem has always been catching those nice juices. We have learned over the years that allowing a roast to sit covered on the counter for 20-30 minutes before carving makes for easier carving - and a messy counter! We have solved this problem by lining a jelly roll pan or sided cookie sheet with a flexible plastic cutting mat - the kind I buy for 3 for $1 at our $1 Dollar store. I actually trimmed this one with kitchen shears to fit in the jelly roll pan. This way the roast can rest, the juices are saved, and the carving can be done with minimal fuss. It's simple, but it really works for me!



Popovers!
After you slip your roast out of the oven, boost the temperature to 450F and whip up a batch of POPOVERS! Might I even suggest a double batch? So simple and yummy!

2 eggs ( room temperature)
1 cup milk ( room temperature)
3 Tbsp. melted butter (no substitutes)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Beat eggs until frothy; add milk and butter. Slowly add flour and salt - use a whisk to beat until smooth. Pour into well greased muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes or until puffed up and golden. Makes 9. Serve hot! These really do ' popover' - and the kids like to watch the last few minutes of baking to see them turning bottoms up!

EDITED: Sorry for the blurry picture - Dreamer took it quickly so we could all sit and eat a nice hot dinner!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy - and double yummy.

    We'll be over for supper next week.

    You are such a practical woman. Now wherever did you lear all this from? Mommy perhaps?

    Luv Ya !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks wonderful!!!!

    I LOVE popovers, but I've had such bad luck with them. Maybe I've used cold ingredients? I don't know. Maybe I should try again (after looking at your wonderful photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - if your popovers go flat and are eggy and unappealing inside your oven was not hot enough or you didn't bake them long enough. I have made them successfully with cold milk and eggs - but had to bake them much longer! I hope this works for you!

    Heffalump - you know I learned a lot from Mum - you were there teaching me also! You would have loved this roast Dad - it was so melt in your mouth and nicely pink - crusty on the outside, juicy on the inside - a meat lover's dream! I had three bites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!