Friday, May 4, 2007

Sewing For Dreamer

The Dreamer was admiring cute colourful bandanas from Mini Boden and wanted to order some, but I was thinking $18 for 2 plus shipping was just a bit over budget. I looked at the picture for a bit and decided to try to sew some! I made this one last week and she wore it comfortably and enjoyed the compliments.


Today, I had a few minutes while the children went with Grammy to homeschool art class and decided to make another one and share the details with you!


I started with 1/2 of a fat quarter cut of quilting cotton and cut it into two rectangular pieces with my rotery cutter. The larger piece is 9"x18" and the small piece is 9"x 3". I used a scrap of 1/2" elastic 4" long and chose contrasting thread.



I started by ironing both of the long edges of the large piece, folding under the edge 1/4" twice to form a finished edge. I suppose serging these edges would work just as well. On both of the short ends of the small piece iron 1/4" to the wrong side of the fabric. This will be the tube that covers the elastic.





Sew the side hems on the large piece, either decoratively or with a straight stitch.


Keeping the short edges turned under, sew the smaller 'tube' piece right sides together along the long edge. Turn and press so that the seam is in the middle of the back (underside fo the tube). Set aside.

Using two rows of long stitches to gather the short (unfinished) ends of the large piece. Gather as tightly as you can and tie the gathering threads tightly. Center the elastic on one gathered edge and sew it securely - I used the zigzag stitch and sewed it flat.



Using a bodkin or large safety pin, thread the elastic through the small tube tube, with the right side of the large gathered rectangle and the top side of the tube facing up. Slide the gathered end just into the tube (covering the stitching rows and elastic end).

Stitch close to the edge of the end of the tube. Repeat for the other side and you are done! A little pressing and you are off!

Be sure to adjust for your child's headsize. Our Dreamer is 9 1/2 years old and wears adult sized hats. The finished size of her bandana is 24" with the elastic extended and 20" just laying flat, so she finds it really comfortable on her 21" head!



Now she wants to peak into my collection of fat quarters and choose some more bandana prints! I think I'll let her read this and make the next one herself! Maybe I'll help her make a few of Heather Bailey's wonderful 'Hooray for Headbands' too!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Just wanted to stop in and thank you for the visit!
    I've enjoyed a little look around your blog. Your tutorial is so easy to follow. I might even be tempted to try making those for my granddaughters!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Heather: cute fabric the Dreamer picked out. I guess that would work as a head covering option too - would you say cut a little larger? How would that size fit on you, for example. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...I wonder if they would look too "little girly" on a grown up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie - I'm sure your granddaughters would love them - and they take about 5 minutes to make! I'm glad I made it clear for you - I was beginning to get too detailed and was making it clear as mud - I had to remember the K.I.S.S. principle - keep it simple silly!

    My husband thought they would make cute headcoverings too Mrs. Pea! I was raised in a Plymouth Brethern home and see a great deal of value in headcoverings and have been praying about going back to wearing them, perhap full time.

    As for me wearing one of these bandanas, well my hair dresser accuses me of having enough hair for 6 women, so hats never fit me well - the one sized fits all vatiety that is! When I make a hat for myself I add about 1 1/2" to the circumfrence. I think you could just lengthen the smaller rectangle and the elastic by about an inch and it would fit a 'normal' adult!

    Bethanie, I think your choice of fabric would determine the youthfulness - think of it in a rich silk or a lovely batik - very feminine and grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those are so pretty, Heather!! Thank you so much for the step by step instructions...I'm going to try making some for the girls!!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by...your headbands (and daughter) are adorable! My daughter would love one of these. 'Great tutorial.

    about the tote bags: I use a very stiff interfacing. Having at least one heavy weight fabric helps as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather, I don't want to make sad you,Very sad:(( apology wish I cancellation, I very little english know



    One,voyage link you ask

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne Kaz - don't worry for a second - no harm done! You didn't make me upset or sad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your tutorials, but can't get them to download. If you could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry anonymous - I don't know anything about computers - but I find that Firefox allows me to view pictures faster than other browsers that I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this great info on the bandana scarfs! I just got a set from mini boden on super clearance from last summer and we love them! My mom is an awesome sewer and I plan on giving her the instructions so she can turn some out....hopefully, she can get me back up to speed so I can make them myself....it's been years since I attempted to sew and she is so good and fast and has the equipment...it's too easy to pass on to her! A girl I swim with in a mommy and me class wears these as well and I asked her where she got hers as I wanted some for myself and she bought hers in Athens....apparently it's a European thing to wear these bandana's! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the How to. I' going to make a few for myself. Would the one you made fit yourself or would it need to be larger for an adult. If so could you guess on the measurement. Thanks. Blessings...Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!