Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ahhhhhhhh!


Seeing Kelli’s blog a few days ago about her family's enjoyment of Backporch Lemonade reminded me of a summer favorite that my mum used to make all the time. She stopped making this when my dad was diagnosed with diabetes because it is sweet, but it certainly can cool you down and give you a ‘lift’ on a hot summer’s day!

Mama Joy's Special-Tea

6-8 cups of strong freshly brewed tea (orange pekoe is nice)
½ cup sugar
1 can frozen concentrate lemonade
Using fresh cold tap water brought to a full rolling boil, steep over low heat 6-8 tea bags in 6-8 cups of boiling water for about 30 minutes. The amount of water you use will depend on the size of your teapot, but generally 1 teabag per cup makes for a good strong brew! Pour hot tea over sugar in a heatproof container and stir to dissolve. Add frozen concentrated lemonade and stir well. Chill. This is very concentrated so serve ½ and ½ with cold water over ice. It looks a bit murky and suspicious - as kids we called it ‘swamp water’, but it is delicious! My mum often put our glass ‘canning jar’ mugs in the freezer for that frosty mug refreshment. Ahhhh! If you find this too sweet, you can eliminate the sugar completely, and it is still really good!

Simply Sweet Tea
You don't need an iced tea maker or powdered crystals to make delicious iced tea - try this!
Bring 8 cups of fresh cold tap water to a full rolling boil and pour over 2 Earl Grey (or whatever tea suits you!) teabags in your favorite teapot. Allow to steep over low heat for about 20 minutes. Pour hot tea over ¾ cup sugar and stir to dissolve. Allow to cool. Serve over ice with a nice wedge of fresh lemon.

Raspberry Lemonade

I made a batch of seedless raspberry jam that didn’t quite jell to my liking last summer, but it hasn’t gone to waste! This is my latest use for it, but I think any raspberry jam would work - just strain out the seeds.
Dissolve ¼ cup seedless raspberry jam in ¾ cup boiling water.
Add ¾ cup sugar and stir well.
Add 1 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best) and 7 cups of cold water. Chill.
Serve over crushed ice and garnish with a few fresh raspberries and a sprig of mint!
I hope these recipes will help to keep you refreshed on these warm summer days! Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. Heather, Thank you for sharing your yummy Summertime Drink Recipes with us.
    I cannot wait to make some of these Drink Recipes for my Family and I to enjoy.
    God Bless,
    Mrs.Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try some of these. My family loves to sup on the porch with ice cold sun~tea or sparkling lemonade...thank you for sharing your family recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to share recipes - I do hope your family enjoys them as much as we have!

    Isn't is delightful how the quiet things - time spent together and simple refreshments, can count for some of the best memories in our 'treasure house' of blessings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these recipes sound delicious, Heather! I have a jar of seedless raspberry jam and I can't wait to try the lemonade!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!