Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day ... without the smoke alarm!


I must say that yesterday was one of the best Mother's Day's in my remembrance! For the first time in many long years, I was blessed to be with my very own Mum on Mother's Day! I do hope you all enjoyed a special day as well!


Mother's Day used to be so hard for me - all of those years of waiting and longing for the blessing of children were painful and difficult. I think it is because of this that my dear Historian has attempted to make the day more special for me - with mixed results! When we were still in ministry, it was far too rushed on a Sunday Morning to make breakfast in bed for me, but the last few years have been different! While my husband is very capable in the kitchen, the distraction of eager helpers has caused a few problems in the past. Severely burnt toast, spilled eggs and flour explosions have all occurred! Last year a thin plastic cutting board was accidentally placed on a hot burner and proceeded to melt, burst into flames and make for a very smelly, loud morning!


Yesterday I arose before the children and made some Maple Muffins and a fresh fruit salad for when my Mum and Dad awakened. Dad was here to take Mum (Grammy) back home, since she has been with us for 3 great weeks and her visit was over. I had my shower and hopped back into bed just in time to be presented with a yummy breakfast and many lovely gifts from The Historian and the children. My breakfast was delicious and the tray was adorned with fresh picked creeping charlie blossoms! We went to Sunday School and church where I taught Children's Church during the sermon hour.


When we arrived home I put a batch of rolls that had risen way too high into the oven and we readied potato salad, fresh fruit and veggie tray, rolled cold meat and cheese platter, 7 bean salad and fresh rolls for lunch. We had lemon bars, brownies and oatmeal cookies too! Mmmm!


The Dreamer, Grammy and I watched 'Back to the Secret Garden' - a rare treat for a beautiful Sunday afternoon! The boys had a good rest - Poppa was tuckered from his long drive the day before. When everyone was rested we went to our favorite Dairy Barn. We ate yummy ice cream, fed the goats, petted the cows, went for a walk around the farm, watched some baseball practice and played 18 holes of mini-golf! Grammy and I were 'free' golfers, as well as receiving free ice cream sundaes, so that was really quite nice!


It was quite late when we got home and as we were getting ready for bed, I was expressing my appreciation to my sweet husband!


"Just think ... a whole Mother's Day, without the smoke alarm!"


Bliss!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a smoke alarm free Mother's Day, Heather. :0) Your day sounds lovely, peaceful and relaxing. Thank you for sharing it!
    I stopped by to print out your oatmeal cookie recipe. Seems like a good day for something sweet!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how too funny! My husband burns onions every time he cooks them, and I've never eaten a cooked breakfast that didn't have burned, finely chopped onions as a wierd accompaniment. But its the thought that counts, isn't it?

    I get you on the whole painful mothers day thing. I praise God for giving you the joy of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mrs. Pea! I'm not sure I could handle the burned onions - you are most gracious! I can barely stomach breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I noticed you mentioning about the pain of not having children and my husband and I are going through the same thing. We have been married for three years and I am not exactly sure why I wrote, but I guess just to hear someone elses experience. And to know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!