Thursday, May 24, 2007

Anxiety Relief


Maybe you've felt this way at times too. It's that horrible feeling of anxiety. Dread. Fear. Worry. It all seems to settle in the pit of my stomach and I can almost taste it. I get busy for a while and it seems to go away, but when I pause, it all comes rushing back.


There is only one way for me to effectively deal with anxiety - prayer. Praying through God's promises, remembering His faithfulness to me, and believing the Truth of His Word.


I know of no other way to calm a storm of anxiety, which is what I experienced after my Doctor's appointment this afternoon. As usual, I had good news and bad news, and I thought I was doing fine with what I had heard. Nothing really new; nothing I hadn't heard or read about concerning my liver condition. The same 'no cure, no treatment, wait and see' kind of stuff.


Suddenly, it hit me. I was assailed by fear.


I should have found some quiet and prayed right away, but there were workmen in my house, and a little girl who needed an 'up-do' for her ballet dress rehearsal, time pressures and so many other things that seemed more immediate. I pushed aside the fear, sent a few quick heart prayers for help - emergency S.O.S. signals really.


When I finally found a quiet moment, I asked God to quiet the voice of fear and bring to mind comfort from His Word, and He did! I just looked up the references and re-read the verses, and I thought I would share them with you, since I know there are a lot of things to be anxious about in this old world, and I am probably not the only one who struggles with fear.



When I am afraid I will trust in you.

Psalm 56:3-4


I have loved you with an unfailing love.

Isaiah 54:10


Be anxious for nothing.

Philippians 4:6


Who of you by worrying can add one hour to his life?

Luke 12:25-26


The Lord is my refuge.

Psalm 9:9


Trust in the Lord with all your heart.

Proverbs 3:5


My health issues haven't changed, but my heart is changed. The Word of God is powerful, and as I renewed my mind with the promises of God, my anxiety ceased and a flood of quiet peace filled my heart. Perfect love cast out my fear. I know I'll have these days again. I'm writing this down as a lesson for myself - next time I don't want to waste so much time before I seek true anxiety relief.

20 comments:

  1. I offered up a prayer for you, Heather, asking God to hold you close. I know that He will minister His peace and comfort to you. God bless you. Love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucy! I appreciate your prayer support. I am very at peace today, so I know God is at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will continue to keep you in my prayers, Heather. You attitude is such an encouragment.
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli - I'm glad that my attitude can be an encouragement to you - I don't feel like I am always trusting like I need to be, but obviously this trail is for some Divine purpose in my life and if it is to be an encouragment to others, I know God can use even my weaknesses. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 05, 2010

    God is good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I googled prayers on anxiety and you popped up i know this just didn't happen it was the lord guiding me to you. Thanks for the word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God Bless you!! I too have recently suffered from anxiety and have turned to prayer to help me. I pray for your well-being and for a healthy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God Bless you!! I too searched for prayers for relief of anxiety and came upon this page. I pray that you have a healthy recovery. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am weak and full of fear. however i know that god loves us all. please pray for us all that are scared and fearfull. god loves us all even when we think we are alone, that is when god is closest. let us pray for each other, that we are not alone and we recognize gods love for us. thank you all for the prayers for each other.god loves us all. doug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJuly 24, 2012

    I suffer terribly from anxiety attacks. It has bound me to my room & afraid to enjoy life. I can't concentrate, shower, eat or sleep. I am very weak & fatigue. I need help I'm extremely tired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the verses you have provided me with to remember how much love God has for me, for all of us. Love casts out all fear is something I repeat to myself. Also somewhere in the Bible it states that God gives us a peace that passes all human understanding. I love this and repeat it often. Today I am doing something that I have anxiety about so I will remember the verses you have given. We will pray for each other for that wonderful Peace, Paula, God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found that peace that passes all understanding Paula during you times of anxiety! May the Lord bless and keep you!

      Delete
  14. I'm an active believer in our Lord. I lead a Sunday school class for middle age adults an host the local Prommise Keepers group, but I also Suffer tremendous bouts with anxiety. This causes me to doubt my level of faith and Gives me concern for any unforgiven sins of my past. I want to serve God and lead a Godly life. I own a successful business that Demands much from me and feel that I'm letting it become an idle even though I claim to operate under Gods direction. I feel that through you inspiration I can more clearly understand my plight. Thank you for your testimony and I pray that God gives us both his wonderful peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you suffer from anxiety - I know how hard it is to serve the Lord and live a life of ministry when you are assailed by doubt and fear. I hope that the Word of God is working in you life to strengthen your faith and bring you peace.

      Delete
  15. I did a search on praying for relief from anxiety and came across your blog. Thank you so much for sharing this. It looks like you wrote it a few years ago but here it is helping me today. I am writing these verses down and will carry them with me so when I have these bouts of anxiety I can use the quick reference in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my quiet little blog Wanda - and that my simple words were of help to you! God is good!

      Delete
  16. I did a search on praying for relief from anxiety and came across your blog. Thank you so much for sharing this. It looks like you wrote it a few years ago but here it is helping me today. I am writing these verses down and will carry them with me so when I have these bouts of anxiety I can use the quick reference in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did a search on praying for anxiety. It looks like you wrote this a few years ago but here it is helping me today. Thank you so much for sharing, I am writing these versus down and will carry them with me so I can commit them to memory. God's word is faithful and it helps to have this reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!