Thursday, May 10, 2007

Oatmeal Unadorned



Growing up, my Mum's oatmeal cookies were anything but plain! Often I would come in from school to the sweet spicy smell of Dad's Cookies, crisp and flavorful with molasses, nutmeg and cinnamon. Oatmeal cookies were filled with chocolate chips, nuts and coconut or chucked full of pecan pieces and plump raisins. Mum's Munchers were a family favorite for years - crunchy and good, but anything but plain.

My husband enjoys more simplified flavors and so for years we have been searching for an oatmeal cookie recipe to suit his taste, and his memory of cookies he enjoyed in his youth. Soft and chewy, no nutmeats, raisins, spices or chocolate to sully the fine flavor of oatmeal, and of course, covered in powdered sugar.
I think I've finally found it! Today I made a recipe from an Amish Family Cookbook, but I made some alterations and so I feel that I can share it. This is a sweet cookie, but I have found that altering the sugar quantity changes the texture, and since chewy was the goal, I used all of the sugar!

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3 cups of quick oats (not old fashioned)
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar for rolling and dusting.
Put on some praise tunes or quiet hymns. Strap on your favorite apron. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and get baking!
Cream butter and sugar in your mixer until smooth; add eggs one at a time and and beat to combine. Add vanilla and beat 1 minute more. Sift flour, salt, soda, and baking powder together and beat on low speed. Add oatmeal and stir until just combined.
Using a large cookie scoop (1/4 cup) scoop level balls and roll in powdered sugar (confectioner's or 10x sugar depending on where you hail from!). Place balls on cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly with a glass bottom dipped in powdered sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until no longer shiny. Remove from cookie sheets - dust with more powdered sugar if you like!
Serve with big glasses of ice cold farm fresh milk and don't count the calories! A serving is as much as you can fit between thumb and forefinger!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe! I often convince myself that oatmeal cookies HAVE to be a breakfast food...anyhting with the word 'oatmeal" has to be healthy right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummy your cookies look, Heather!! I will definitely be trying this recipe!!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lea - I hate to burst your bubble, but these are high fat high, sugar cookies and I am trying desperately not to eat them - I don't want to find any of the #'s I've lost - too hard a struggle! Their only redeeming quality is the fiber content! You are welcome to eat them for breakfast .... but be prepared for a high energy morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this recipe and they are too delicious! I came via Kelli's blog. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine - I'm glad you like them! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DHs workplace is stressful right now, his supervisor is in the middle of an ugly divorce. I found your recipe last night and decided all those guys would love some fresh cookies on their break today.
    I baked your recipe and they are delicious, a real keeper recipe!
    thanks for sharing it!
    They are a very pretty cookie too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have just made your delicious biscuits, thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across your yummy recipe from Kelli's page! Thank you for sharing this! I can't wait to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you like these cookies - we think they are pretty yummy, so it's good to know we are not alone! I searched for many years to find just the combination that made my hubby happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!