Monday, October 30, 2006

A Recipe

The double batch of snickerdoodles are gone! Vanished! The Historian delclared them ' perfect', but he really didn't get very many! Good thing tomorrow is baking day! I was thinking about apple recipes and trying to decide between two favorites! Since I have not made crisp for quite a while, I think tomorrow might be the day! Here is the recipe in case you'd like to try our favorite - though I am sure there are many other great recipes in your recipe boxes! I will say, this crisp is really crisp - certain children who will remain nameless, have loosened a baby tooth or two on this family treat.

Rich Apple Crisp

Base:
8 cups of peeled, cored and sliced apples (best for firm apples - we'll be using winesaps)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Combine fruit, sugar, spices and flour and place in a greased 9x13 pan.

Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons grated orange rind
2/3 cup softened butter
Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple base. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving with ice cream! Enjoy!

Variations & Hints
1. I often half this recipe and make it in a greased pie plate just for our family of 4.
2. Substitute 8 cups of mixed berries and eliminate the spices. Frozen berries work wonderfully too.
3. I like to lightly toast the nuts beforehand, if I have time.

2 comments:

  1. I read online that snickerdoodles were made for long distance ship voyages a couple hundred years ago because they "keep so well".

    I've never had them last more than a couple of days so I have no idea how they keep, hehehe.

    I'm "doing something" with apples Tuesday. Perhaps make apple butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had snickerdoodles last long either. :0) Your apple crisp sounds delicious! I may use up all my apples before I have a chance to make apple butter!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!