Friday, October 27, 2006

Chasing Away The Doldrums


We have awakened to another dreary, wet day here in the Midwest, just when I was hoping for a crisp, sunny day to get out and plant my bargain perennials from Lowe’s. Fiddlesticks!

I was on the verge of discouragement when I decided to count my blessings and make my home a place of refuge on such an uninspiring day. Here is my plan for chasing away the doldrums:

1. Set some cider simmering for steaming mugs of comfort against the chilly afternoon
2. Light my favorite candles, turn on some soft lights and count my blessings!
3. Play ‘Autumn in New England’ and other instrumental favorites continuously on the c.d. shuffle mode
4. Sit down and write an encouraging note to a friend – after all if I’m feeling the dreary day blues perhaps someone else is too!
5. Get going on some tidying up – set the children to work in their rooms and give the house a ‘lick and a promise’ vacuum and cleaning
6. Cuddle up with a favourite book, my two favourite kids and a bunch of blankets on the couch for a good read!
7. Have the children help me bake Daddy’s favorite cookies – snicker doodles
8. Make some cheerful ‘ we appreciate you notes’ for The Historian


Well, I best get started! So often I find that my emotions are fickle. I don’t always feel like being loving, cheerful, patient or kind, but I can always make a choice to do what I know I should do, and happily God supplies the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self control!

Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I happened upon your blog but I'm glad I did--it's lovely. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we have to be related (as well as living close to the same area).

    My cookie jar is filled with snickerdoodles...or I should say, WAS filled with them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!