Thursday, May 14, 2009

When the going gets tough ....

the faithless faithful start praying ... and apparently, baking and cooking.

Today, I started to cheer my heart up by baking an Angel Food Cake while I prayed. It smelled so good baking. I felt better right away. I've never had one turn out so perfectly lovely and high as the sky - I was thrilled!

Then, I made Souvlaki for supper, or at least got it marinating for supper, and I set out the rice and checked on the salad fixings. I discovered the beets at the back of the crisper and decided to cook them up too.

I made two kinds of bread - simple white and cinnamon raisin swirl. Kneading was soooo therapeutic - I almost cried for joy. I made a fresh jar of fudge chocolate sauce for over ice cream or angel food cake - we were quite out, you see. I also made a fresh batch of my zesty Italian dressing for our salad. Why have I been buying salad dressing and why did I think it was easier?

Then, I just felt like I needed to bake one more thing - a raspberry almond cake for tea time.

A joy for all the senses!

That did it! I didn't have to eat a bite to be reminded of God's goodness and have my faith in His provision restored - I just needed to spend some time alone with Him in my kitchen, putting my hands to work, pouring my heart out to Him.

In between, we did math, spelling, reading and science. Messy, sticky, goofy, giggly science.

I even washed the floor - twice.

Psalm 143:8

Cause me to hear thy loving kindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Isaiah 33:2

O LORD, be gracious unto us; we have waited for thee: be thou their arm every morning, our salvation also in the time of trouble.


post signature

6 comments:

  1. How did you make your dressing? That sounds interesting to me, I'd love to try it! The verse (psalms) that you posted spoke right to my heart too, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about being in the kitchen and cooking and baking that can be so relaxing.

    Especially on "good health" days. :)

    Although, now I am quite hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post, Heather. You're so right that there is something soothing about working with your hands and enjoying your work and its fruits. It always makes me feel reassured that I am right where God wants me, in my role and my circumstances.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very productive and enjoyable time! Your food sounds so good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather,
    I am a regular reader of your blog, but I don't know if I have ever left a comment. My husband has had some really bad things going on at work - people who don't know what it means to treat other people the way they would want to be treated. I have been hurting so much for him. All I can do is pray for him. Those 2 verses were very applicable. Thanks.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!