Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Meals on Wheels

Tonight we were blessed to bring a meal to a family that is in the middle of a crisis - we've been praying for them for a long time, but were blessed to be able to meet a practical need in a small way! Unfortunately - I forgot to take a picture - again! Oh well! We made a green salad, a pan of fresh yeast rolls, chicken pot pie and Texas 'sheep' cake for dessert! I thought I'd share the recipe which I adapted to reduce the fat and increase the veggie content!


A Little Less Chicken Pot Pie

Made from scratch, but a bit less fat - and still delicious! The original recipe calls for ¾ cup of butter and cream instead of milk - perhaps if we were working outside all day, plowing fields by hand, we could do with that kind of hearty eating, but I’ve adjusted it for our requirements.

8 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
3 carrots, peeled and cut
1/3 cup butter
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, minced
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
¼ cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
2 cups reduced fat chicken stock
½ tsp. each, sea salt, fresh black pepper, basil, and dried parsley
1 cup whole milk, warmed
4 cups cooked chicken - cut in cubes or shredded
9 inch pie crust recipe - bottom and top

In a large pot, melt butter and sauté potato cubes and carrots just until tender. Add ½ cup chicken stock, celery and onion ( peas too if you are using them!). Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir to coat. Pour in remaining stock and stir until thickened. Add warm whole milk slowly, stirring until well incorporated. Add seasonings and chicken and stir until thick and creamy. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning as needed. Pour into two deep 9”x 9” glass pans, or a 3 quart casserole dish. Roll out pastry and lay over filling. Shape edges of crust and cut stream vents. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Use a drip pan !!!! Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving - don’t worry - it will stay hot!


When I used to bring meals to those in need more often, I would scour the shelves at Goodwill or search at yard sales for lidded casserole dishes. I would send them filled with food with a note that I didn't need the dish back ( something less to think about) - it could be filled and passed on to another family in need somewhere down the road. One friend told me that my little note helped assure her during the dark days that life would continue, the Lord would bring healing and that once the sorrow was past, she would be a blessing to others once agsin.


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I thought it was "sheet" cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sheet cake Bethanie - but when a certain sweet 4 year old boy was trying to ask for his favorite cake for a birthday once upon a time - it sounded a whole lot like 'sheep' cake - and somehow things like that kinda 'stick' in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds wonderful -- I love chicken pot pie, so I will definitely have to try this one.

    And I love the "sheep" cake. Some of the cutest things come out of those little mouths, you just don't ever want to forget them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds yummy, and I love the "sheep" cake! LOL We eat "babanas" every morning in our house. I've been making that TX sheet cake for years and it's a fave in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I do love potpie!!!

    Thanks for the idea about fantastic, I'll have to try it. Also enjoyed the story about the damp child. :)

    Have a good weekened!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done cooking for that family. I think in this day and age people (over here anyway) really appreciate a free, cooked home made meal...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!