Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30th

Very creative title, I know! We are back into a 'regular routine' - but still quite worn out, so pardon my lack of creativity, please!

We had a rich week of fellowship with our guests from India last week. It was another opportunity to understand that we have been blessed to bless others. Despite the menu maneuvering, it was a wonderful week, and we would do it again in a heartbeat.




I ended up doing a lot of 'serve yourself' buffets. We even did a 'Ruby Tuesday's' style salad bar buffet one night and it was a hit with everyone. We ate a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, so hopefully they didn't suffer from our rich American diet too much! Those are Mums' Pumpkin Crunch Muffins, by the way. Mmmmm! I cut the sugar and made some without the 'crunch' topping.



On Friday, 'the boys' took our guests on to their next destination in Elkhart, IN. My Historian took the day off work to drive them there. The guys had a great time together, from all reports. It was a long drive - about 8 hours in the van total, but they had some good bonding time and hit a great quality buffet restaurant - with seafood and tender prime rib. Oh my.

Dreamer and I stayed home to ready her necessities for CAMP! She was so excited! We also had a bunch of laundry to do and cleaning, and it was so hot and humid. I was never so thankful for a/c, let me tell you! It is hard for me to push myself when I am already worn out, but add the heat to that equation, and I'm about as energetic as a damp dish rag!

She and I decided to put off our shopping until after the hottest part of the day, so we planned, cleaned, lazed around and finally headed to the mall at 6 p.m. What an eye opener that was for our sweet girl. She was astounded at the girls her age wandering through the mall on their own and in groups of 2 and 4. She was having a hard time with the reality of these scantily clothed girls, alone and without the protection of their family in a public place. We were both astonished to see them walking into R rated movies without anyone questioning their presence there, and we worried about the older guys we saw 'trolling' around the mall looking for trouble.

All in all, I think it helped her to appreciate our rather different approach to parenting. While she might think it might be 'fun' to have that kind of freedom, she is definitely glad that we take seriously our job of setting boundaries for her safety.

Yesterday, we had the most lovely drive up to Camp. Our Dreamer was so excited that she woke up at 5 a.m. !!!! She had a nap in the car, thankfully. It was a perfect fall day - yes, that's what I said. It felt like early fall. Cool crisp air, bright sunshine and the most amazing cloud formations. There is nothing like driving over hill and dale in northern Ohio on such a lovely day. As we turned to get in the car to leave camp .... without our Dreamer .... *sniff* .... there was a huge cloud burst and heavy rains, but it was short lived and we quickly drove back into sunshine. This is our Dreamer's third year at summer camp. This is her 'freedom in a safe place' for now, and she loves every minute of it. Me? Well, it's another opportunity to trust God with the care of the children He has blessed us with. Do I love having her away? Not so much.



We are praying that our Dreamer will have an excellent week at camp. It was quite amazing to see how the other girls had matured over the last year - we saw it in Dreamer, but just felt it was all happening too soon. It's good to know she is just keeping up with her peers. I think.

So, a week with just the three of us. We will miss our girl, for sure! However, Storyteller will have my full attention, and we will try to do some fun things, but I also have a long list of items that must be 'caught up'.

Now, my blog is sort of up to date.

Check one important item off the list!

I'm going into the Dreamer's room this morning to begin the annual 'our girls is at camp shovel out'. Please pray for me ... I may not come back out! Our girl is a 'messie' pure and simple. I'm estimating a good 8 hours just to find the floor. It's really that bad. I'm sure that if I don't emerge before supper time, they will send in the search party, but one never knows!

I'll be back!

I hope!


post signature

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad your company went well. I'm gearing up for a family of 5 with us for 4-5 nights. I've just gotten the parameters on the diet and it's going to be a bit tricky too. I was told "soups" -- hmmm...... in 85 degree weather. Well, I guess i'll see what we can do. :)

    I loved camp as a child. i would love to find one for my kids to go to someday

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, you have been busy! Thank you for the muffin recipe. I shall file it away for another day. :)

    Fall weather is perfect! I hope your daughter has a lovely time at camp.

    Blessings,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 01, 2008

    I was/am (?) a bit of a messie at times. I used to tell my Mom she should be thankful in that I kept my clothes on the floor to keep the carpet from fading. My Mom also used to joke that she'd tie a rope to her waist and three tugs on the rope meant she was in trouble and haul her out now!

    Thankfully I am much improved =) Just an encouragement that "this too shall pass".

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was a bit of a messie - but I didn't have half the junk she has and I NEVER did science experiments in the bathroom or hid books in my underwear drawer. I am currently cleaning purple glitter off the walls, floor, toilet, and sink! She has some explaining to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your girl has a wonderful and blessed time at camp! Ooh..good luck with the room...Emily is my messy one. :0)
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 02, 2008

    ok, so i never did science experiments in the bathroom or hid books in any drawer.... but probably because i never thought of it ;)

    i can't speak for the glitter because i've never liked glitter in any form.

    i know it gets everywhere and is hard to clean. my nephew has done a few art projects here using glitter and MONTHS later i'm still finding glitter. there was even some on the grass on the side yard of the house. lol, my sister made him change his clothes before she'd let him into her suv to go home.

    as an aside, and because i think it may amuse you, my 6 yr old nephew has been "designing" castles and has decided that is what he is going to build ..... when we asked where he answered "temagami". we don't think he even knows where temagami is, but we all found it rather amusing =)

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to meet you. I'm glad you commented on my blog. I would be honored if you took an idea or two from me.
    I've read a bit of your blog and admire your charity and faith---two of the best traits to have.
    I hope you'll stop by and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popping by to wish you and yours a happy 4th of July from Ireland!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know she will have a great time at camp. I remember leaving my daughter there. Its where she learned horseback riding.
    I know what you mean about the girls at the mall. I saw this recently, kids being dropped off to hang out. And my daughter and I talked about the message those young girls are sending with their scanty and revealing clothing. Sad! Let the little girls be little girls is what I say.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks beautiful and you are so right to protect her. Before you know it, she will be all grown up and these years will be behind her. Keep up the good work of protecting her. I was not protected from the world as a girl and suffered a lot because of it...
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!