Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday #4


Are you having trouble with fruit flies? We keep a bin on our counter top by the sink to collect the daily fruit and veggie scraps to compost outside - unfortunately, it attracts fruit flies. We don't care for fruit flies, but I wasn't about to pay $9 for traps for them either, so I used an old fashioned remedy, with a twist. I was planning to make my usual paper funnel and stick it in the top of a jam jar with an inch or so of cider vinegar in the bottom, but then I spied my spice jars! Perfect! The holes in the glass spice jar lid are big enough to admit the willing victims, but they can't seem to figure out how to get back out! Trapped!
So far I have had to empty the spice jars daily - that's how successful my traps are! Or, that's how infested we were ....

So, the simple solution in a nutshell:

Pour 1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar into the bottom of an old glass spice jar. Put the shaker lid with the holes in over the top. Set on the counter and watch your intended victims gather. Clean out the jar often, since it is very unappealing to host dead flies in your food prep area. Rinse jars and repeat!

Now I know why an older gentleman in our first church referred to fruit flies as vinegar flies - they love it! He often told me stories of all the flies that used to collect around the barrels of pickles his Ma put down each summer, and now I know why. Live and learn.

Be sure to check out all of the other great tips at Rocks in My Dryer.


post signature

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! They always seem to congregate around my bananas. And I don't want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tip. I look forward to giving it a try.

    Lisa the Correspondent

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip! And... I'm sure it'll look better than the strips that I've seen!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!