Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Homemaking Meme

This lovely ABC meme was created by Sallie at A Gracious Home! Thank you Sallie! This was so much fun! Enjoy!

Aprons – Y/N? If Y, what does your favorite look like?

While I have many aprons, I don't have a favourite - they are all well used and I really need to make a new one for each of us!

Baking – Favorite thing to bake
Muffins! My family loves muffins and they are so easy and yummy! Too yummy! Scones and cookies are fun too!

Clothesline – Y/N?
Yes, I have a wonderful outdoor clothesline that my dad made for me and a rod in the laundry room.

Donuts – Have you ever made them?
Yes! For a long time we had the young people from our church dropping by every week for homemade donuts - they were cheap to make and yummy!

Every day – One homemaking thing you do every day
It seems like everything! Wiping counters multiple times per day!

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
Yes! We have an upright freezer and a spare fridge with a big freezer!

Garbage Disposal – Y/N?
Yes. We rarely use it! We compost and recycle whatever we can!

Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource?
Talking Dirty with The Queen of Clean

Ironing – Love it or hate it? Or hate it but love the results?
I like ironing but it is hard on my body - we have so much because our clothes are mainly cotton and we are not BARBIE DOLL sized people! I have a friend who comes to iron and it helps us both out!

Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it?
Junk basket - in the laundry room! Whatever I find in pockets goes there and anything not claimed after 30 days will be disposed of at my discretion! I keep ALL money!

Kitchen – Color and decorating scheme
We chose maple cabinets with an opaque creamy stain and pewter wash. We have very little wall space but what there is is painted sage green. Our counter tops are black/ green/gold flecked/ ruby sparkling granite and the floor is a warm red/brown cork. The appliances are black and my windows are topped with a cream and sage toile called 'Rustic Life' by Waverly lined with a sage green check. I love my kitchen but can never keep up with all of the papers piled on my counter tops!

Love – What is your favorite part of homemaking?
Expressing my creativity for the pleasure of my Creator and my family!

Mop – Y/N?
YES! I used to despise a mop, but now I live with liver problems and a lot of hard floors!

Nylons – Wash by hand or in the washing machine?
By hand with Woolite!

Oven – Do you use the window or open the oven to check?
What window? Open it up and look!

Pizza – What do you put on yours?
Ham, parmesean cheese, tomatoes, red peppers and green olives please!

Quiet – What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
Read, sort mail, blog, sort mail, plan menus, sort mail, correct schoolwork, sort mail ....

Recipe card box – Y/N? What does it look like?
An antique 6 drawer mini file cabinet that my husband gave to his mother years ago! Three generations of recipes! I also use a binder for all my full page recipes from great blogs!!!!

Style of house – What style is your house?
1950's rambling ranch - grey siding, black shutters and cement brick - yuck yuck yuck! It is on the 'to change soon' list - I'm hoping to strip the vinyl, restore the wonderful wood and paint it rich tan with cream trim and sage accents.

Tablecloths and napkins – Y/N?
Does a quilt count? I use table runners and a few quilts to make the table special on weekends, but during the week it doubles as our homeschool area and needs to be bare! Last week I left the centerpiece on and a flying pencil broke my last special glass candle cup!

Under the kitchen sink – Organized or toxic wasteland?
Somewhat organized, but needs to be wiped down. Again!

Vacuum – How many times per week?
At least once, sometimes twice, rarely three times but it has happened! We swiffer almost every day! Once I vacuumed 17 times in 5 days but our house was on the market and we had that many showings - we were living at the Tim Horton's across the street waiting for folks to finish looking at our house! I miss my central vac system!

Wash – How many loads of laundry do you do per week?
7 or 8 loads - too many for a family of 4!

X’s – Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?
Yes - I love to make lists and cross them off!

Yard – Y/N? Who does what?
We hire our yardwork for $25 a week and we have an acre to mow - my husband would do a great job, but the kids will only be young once - we want to do things together and not watch Daddy mow for 5 hours every Saturday! We'd have to invest in a riding mower I think! I do the gardens and hubby does the minor tree trimming - he's a whiz with the trimmers!

Zzz’s – What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
Making sure the kitchen sink is empty and ready for a new day!

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading your homemaking Meme! It's amazing how often the counters need wiped down during the day isn't it?!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it as well. I would enjoy a donut recipe :) I agree with the mail sorting. Doesn't it seem like we get so much? What do you usually use to mop the floor? Your lawn person works cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I so enjoy reading your 'blog'.

    It gives me an insight into the heart of my daughter and my grandkids, so please don't stop. Just more judicious in some areas.

    Wonderful, real and thankful heart glimpses. P T L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli - I am enjoying Mrs.Meyer's Clean Day in lemon verbena to make my counter wiping chores more enjoyable!

    Hi Michele - I use a mild vinegar solution for the hardwood and cork floors and a bit of mild dish soap mixed with a few drops of essential oil - usually lavender for the ceramic and vinyl floors. Our lawn guy is really cheap - he has it done, trimmed and blows off the clipping in about 35 minutes, so he really does quick work!

    Hey Heffalump - I'm glad you like my blog Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved read this!!! It's so much fun to learn from others!!

    Would you mind sharing your donut recipe with instructions? I've been saying for YEARS that I'm going to make some homemade donuts one day!!!

    Also, do you have liver problems? Did I read that correctly? If so, how can we be praying?

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try to make donuts soon and publish my simple recipe - but I'll need to make sure we are well supplied with apple cider first - we like them together!

    Mrs. U - I do have ongoing liver problems and we simply pray the prayer that never fails 'Your will be done Lord' - and for strength each day! I am feeling pretty well considering we are recovering from a nasty flu virus.
    I love knowing that God is my strength in times of weakness because I am so often 'weak'! We have not ruled out total healing! He is able!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!