Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dire Warnings


I have once again been warned about the varied dangers of blogging - and while I know that it comes from a heart of love and concern, I have decided to continue for now.


It is not that I do not know that we live in a sin sick world. I watch the news (sometimes) and I have studied my Bible. I can see that the hearts of men and women are wicked. I know my own sinful heart - and we have children! If we did not believe in the inherited sin nature of mankind before we had children, we certainly do now! No one taught our children to sin - they did not go to school to learn temper tantrums, willfulness, complaining, selfishness, and anger! They have developed these and honed them to unquestionable skill without any tutoring or instruction!


I love my children and will do anything I am able to to protect them. I know there is a certain risk in publishing pictures on my blog, and I know that there are men and women who have given themselves over to sin who might see these pictures and desire to hurt my family. I know that some have ways of using the little bit of personal information I have disclosed to find my family. I wish we didn't live in a world so full of risks and dangers, but we do.

At the same time, I know my Saviour. Countless times I have made poor, unthinking choices, and incredibly, I have not suffered the concequences as I ought to have. I have enjoyed God's mercy and grace. More than once I have known without a doubt that God has protected me in ways I'll never understand from the ever present dangers I have knowingly and unknowingly walked into.

When we have suffered great losses and faced overwhelming trials, we have known God's everpresent love; we have seen how our difficulties have humbled our spirits, matured our characters, stretched our faith and brought glory to the One we serve each day.

In a world where we are often so disconnected, there is something strongly satisfying about glimpsing the real worlds of my blogging friends. Sharing in this way has allowed me to celebrate the home arts I love so much and to share what I have learned with others in a small way. I have been so very encouraged and challenged!

I may be taking a foolhardy risk, but I cannot dwell in fear. I think I would go mad if I allowed the magnitude of the dangers of this world overtake me - and I certainly would never leave our home. I will do what I know to do to maintain our safety and leave the rest to my Heaven Father. I strive to be in an attitude of prayer as I seek God's direction in this, and I may come to a different conclusion as I yield myself to God's direction in this matter.

The Storyteller is memorizing this wonderful comforting Psalm, and as we have talked over the meaning of each verse, my heart has thrilled once again to the joy of knowing the Good Shepherd cares for my every need. It is humbling to know that the God of the universe takes tender loving care of this stupid willful sheep, but I pray it will always be so!


Psalm 23
A Psalm of David.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness

For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil; For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;

And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


Image from All Posters 'Faith'

6 comments:

  1. I know...I put up a couple of shots of DH and my older 2 because they are basically adults..but still. I rarely will do that. My youngest is only 10 so...NO WAY AT THIS TIME. I am at Myspace, due to family (saved) members who've asked me there and it is beyond me but I get horrendous spam in my private email now because at myspace you have to list it to open an account and to log in. (actually, just like the new blogger). Quite troubling, but I also know about God covering over us when we pray. Good post.
    Eileen @ http://halfwayhome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I am very careful with whom I share personal information. So you KNOW when I do share, it is with people I trust. :)

    I just posted pictures of my daughter and grandchildren on my blog but I have never put even the state where they live. I also do not post pictures of me or my husband and son. Just because of the world in which we live. Sad, isn't it?

    I have really missed you posting on my blog. God had placed you on my heart and I have been praying for you...didn't know what about but I just knew I hadn't "seen you around the blog world".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you as well. Blogging is a fun way to share with family and friends. It is sad that there are people out there with inappropriate intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, it is so scary what some people are capable of. I'm trying to stay away from the news websites.
    Hope you all are feeling well. It's been a week since the start of my cold and I'm still not 100% well! Almost though.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, you are absolutely right about the way you feel! I've been thinking about this very much myself, and have been hesitant on displaying pictures of my family. I figure with the little bit of internet we do have, let's do our best to glorify God in it and pray also for his wisdom in doing so! He is definitely our shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your post reminded me of something I pray regularly for for my daughter and I, and that is that God would continue to make us invisible to any who would want to harm us. I pray this for your family now as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!