Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sweet Saturday

It's official - I am a legal resident of the U.S.A.! I got my card this week and I am so pleased! It is good for 10 years and after 3 years, I am able to apply for citizenship! Normally, it is 5 years, but I've been married to my Historian for almost 18 years and he is a U.S. Citizen, so we're good for the 'fast track'! The children are already beginning to quiz me for the civics test - American History 101! It's funny what they think will 'for sure and for certain' be on the test! We are thanking the Lord for this part of our immigration journey completed! What a journey!




This week has just flown by! We have had three days of rain, and now three days of sunshine - which is a real blessing! The mowers are out in full force manicuring the estate lawns in our neighborhood, so our Dreamer's allergies are giving her some trouble! Our lawn is the only one sporting a fresh crop of bright yellow dandelions and I have been blessed by many lovely bouquets already! Chemicals are for the birds - give me happy healthy children safely playing on the grass any day - perfection is highly over rated! I'm seeing from my sweet note note that it's time to teach the Dreamer how to spell 'bouquet' - maybe after we get through this present math dilemma!



We've been putting in many long hours doing schoolwork. I know some mums can 'get it all done' before lunch, but we are not that family! We seem to be all day at school right now, and it isn't much fun! Dreamer is struggling with expressing fractions as percentages in math and Storyteller is resisting reading practice, as usual! It has been hard to maintain a positive attitude, but the promise of getting outside to play helps the work to go more smoothly.


Everything is the garden is doing really well - no too much loss this winter, thankfully. I think we lost the foxglove to mole tunneling - but it may surprise me and come back yet. One rhubarb plant didn't make it, but the rest are soon going to be giving enough 'fruit' for pies and crisps! I wonder if we'll have enough to make rhubarb punch and stewed rhubarb! I hope so, but as these plants were just put in last season, I'd guess not.


This week I visited a wonderful place - the Living Simply Soap Kitchen in Dayton, OH! I bought some fragrant soap 'seconds' by the pound, wonderful Lavender and Sage cream for my hands and a Carrot Cake candle. Mrs. Brown gave me a sample of her new product 'Little White Lye' stain stick to try out and give her feedback on. My goodness - I was so impressed!

After our last Homeschool co-op on Thursday (yes, there were tears), we ran to Sam's Club to buy some fresh fish for dinner and the children asked for treats (we had just dried our tears, mind you). The Storyteller enjoyed most of a 4 Berry Sundae, but on the way home dropped the rest of it right down his front - he was choking on a huge blackberry and just turned his whole treat upside down! He was fine, but very sticky and very stained! The outfit he had on was purple from the berries and he was really upset, knowing that purple is not an easy stain to remove! I sent him directly to the shower (yes, it was that bad!) and grabbed his clothes - and applied the 'Little White Lye' stain stick - and at first I was horrified! The purple turned black! I thought I had ruined his only decent khakis and best button down shirt - a creamy yellow one! I put everything in the washer and I was happily delighted when everything came perfectly clean! Now there's a product I can endorse - all natural ingredients, built in scrubbing action (cornmeal) - and it works! We have tried it on grass stains and blood - and it works so well. Next big test - I'll be tackling the socks to see how it works there! I'll keep you in the loop and let you know how it performs!

If you'd like to visit the Living Simply Soap website, just click on the picture or name and take a look around. Her soaps are lovely and quite long lasting! We bought some last summer during the farmers markets and now we are hooked!

Today is beautiful but we are expecting rain soon. We are waiting for drywall compound to dry so that the final sanding can be done. My Historian has had to put up with a mess in his office while the pipes in his storage closet were being repaired and now there is drywall dust everywhere! I hope to get it primed and painted next week so he can get things back in order there. I'm thankful we still have some paint and primer left from that room - nothing to buy, just the work! This time Mr. Handyman (our contractor) is insulating those pipes really really well and hopefully our next cold snap will not produce freezing bursting pipes! What a mess!

The children are practicing for Homeschool Sandlot Softball which begins for both children next Saturday morning. We have been batting, throwing and catching every chance we get! This is our last Saturday of ease for a couple of months! The Historian is doing some yardwork and I have been cleaning but I'm about to head out in the sunshine and enjoy it while I can!

Have a great weekend!

post signature

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got your residency card! Yay. I helped our housekeeper study the civics test stuff and it is super easy you probably know it all LOL. Ooo! I love strawberry rhubarb pie I think it's awesome that you can use your own rhubarb! That stain removal stick sounds amazing. I can't believe it took that berry stain out of yellow! I am going to look for that thing. Thanks for the tip on the soap, I am a sucker for good smelling soap LOL.

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I imagine that the children are quite thrilled to be quizing Mama!

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your sweet Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, congratulations on the progress in your journey toward citizenship! I'm sure it feels great to get past one more hurdle.

    I will have to investigate the fabulous stain-removing stick you've got -- my two little monkeys are pretty hard on their clothes, and anything that makes them last longer is great in my book!

    It's good to see a new post from you, I've been reading a bit in your archives and gathering lots of great homekeeping and organizational tips! Hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! By the time you become a citizen, you'll know a lot more civics and American History than 90% of Americans. :)

    It was so nice to be sunny and warmer lately but I did notice the allergies. I don't have them as bad as the rest of the family but I was sneezing and sniffling all day.

    I bookmarked the site with the homemade soap. I eventually want to switch to all pure, homemade soap and her prices are much better than what I can get at the local Farmer's Market in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big, big congrats! I became a permanent resident almost four years ago now and I know what a hassle and expense it it. It is a BIG DEAL to get to this point. I hated feeling like a rat in a maze!

    So, where are you from? (I'm new to your blog--saw a link in my stats from yours). I'm Canadian. I do believe I'll pursue citizenship, but the expense isn't something we can handle just now.

    Again, congratulations! You should have a little party or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your residency, Heather! Very exciting!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on obtaining your card!! What an answer to prayer!

    What a sweet bouquet...no matter how its spelled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on being an official resident!!! i know this has been long in coming for you and you must be so happy to have this finally worked out!!!

    I'm sorry to hear about your mum and the burns she received -- I must have missed it if you mentioned it when it happened. I do hope she will be better soon.

    Just found a gold mine at Salvation Army -- racks and racks of sweaters 50% off which meant about $1 each!!!! YAY!! The other thrift stores seem to be all out of sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations that is great news and must be a nice ending to the journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!