Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I never thought I'd see the day .....

This afternoon, I took the children to 'the shady park' for an hour and a half of fresh air and exercise! The sun was shining, the mercury soared to 48 degrees, the birds were singing and we were swinging high - almost touching the sky with our tip toes! We had the whole park to ourselves and we could be as loud and silly as we wanted - so we were! The kids set up an 'obstacle court race' and there was much laughter and good will. All was joy and happiness - until ..... across the street at the beautiful old cemetery - the yard crew began ..... MOWING!


People, this is December 30th. If you didn't get it done before now, it will wait until spring. I'm quite sure of it! Honestly - I listen to the steady drone of mowers (because we live surrounded by lawn worshipers) from early April until early November - but I thought our ears would have a break for the winter. I was mistaken.

We did not let the loud mowers spoil our fun! Not us! We got louder and sillier still and enjoyed the sunshine! The mud, however was fun for the kids, but just another mess to clean up when we got home.

Can I say here that we are most definitely praying for snow? It's just so much cleaner!


I really don't mind the sound of the snow blower - somehow it is buffeted by the blanket of whiteness it is designed to move. Unless of course, it is my parent's neighbors snow blower which seems to be lacking a muffler and does a great impression of a B-52 bomber coming in for a landing. It's really loud. Back to the point - you expect snow blowers in winter if you live in a part of the world that enjoys snow on a regular basis. Apparently, we don't.

A little warm weather and four glorious days of sunshine (we were giving praise to the Lord!), and my parsley is peeking up and ready to be picked! Right beside it, the perennial bed is cheery green - unfortunately it is because the creeping charlie also enjoyed the spring like weather. Our children were running outside the other day in flip flops! There is just something wrong when the flip flops appear beside the snow boots on the shoe mat! What season is this anyways?

On the bright side, MY FIRST GARDEN CATALOG came yesterday - yeah Burpee! This year, you are the winner! I sighed and drooled, planning and scheming over that catalog all evening! Our children gave me a cool Post-It Flag highlighter set in my stocking to keep track of our school work, but I was very tempted to use it to mark out my dream garden in my Burpee catalog!

Well, I have shown my true Canadian spirit and publicly complained about the weather - you can take the girl out of Canada, but you can't take Canada out of the girl!

I promise to end the year with a more positive post tomorrow.

Especially if, by some miracle, it snows!

Isaiah 55:10

As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,


post signature

1 comment:

  1. OOH!!!! Seed catalogs!! I can't wait until mine start coming!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!

    Today it was about 65 out and we had some of the bluest skies I have ever seen. Truly a gorgeous day! But, like you said, it is DECEMBER 30TH!! Crazy!!

    I hope y'all have a wonderful last day of 2008!!

    Praying for you!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!