Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Scones, Anyone?


It's been more then a year since I did this post about my very favorite scones, but since I made two quick batches for the ladies at Bible Study tonight, I thought I'd post another favorite recipe. It's very similar to the Raisin Scones recipe, but is lighter and cuts nicely into rounds or pretty shapes. Scones are my 'I need to make something-fast' go-to! An old stand by that always turns out well, is generally well received and is quick!

Orange Scones with Lemon Curd

Sift together:

3 cups of unbleached all purpose flour

3 teaspoons of good baking powder

1 teaspoon of salt

Add the grated rind of one large orange (wash that food grade wax off before grating!) and stir into dry ingredients.

Cut in 1 cup of cold butter with a pastry blender or two knives until well blended and mealy - about the size of peas.

Add 1 cup of white sugar and mix together. In a 1 cup measure, beat 1 egg until frothy. Add enough cold milk to make 1 cup. Add to dry ingredients and stir gently by hand just until it comes away from the sides of the bowl. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Add more flour if needed.


Cut into diagonals or circles and transfer to greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 - 20 minutes, serve with Lemon Curd.


Old Fashioned Lemon Curd


6 large fresh eggs

Grated rind of 1 lemon

Juice of 6 lemons

1 1/2 cup of sugar ( 1 1/4 cup makes for a tangy version)

6 tablespoons of soft butter


Beat eggs in the top of a double boiler - stainless steel is best. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and cook over boiling water for 20-25 minutes until it is thickened. Stir continually. When it is finished it will be very thick. Cool. This keeps for about 4 weeks in the fridge or freezes nicely. Makes 3 cups. There is not much to this recipe, but it sure is great with scones! Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Mmm..your scones look delicious and I *love* lemon curd!! Wish I could come for a visit. :0)

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be so welcome to come for a visit! That would be just lovely!

    I really like lemon curd, but in spurts! I forget how good it is and don't have it in the house for a while, and then I remember how much I like it! I made a 'quick version' with corn starch and it was faster but was rather glue-like! Lemon curd is so nice to have on hand and so tasty with everything! Have you put it in mini tart shells for a quickie lemon tart? Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that anything like "lemon snow" that Aunt Fran used to make ?
    Sure wish I was there for tea honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's more like the texture of creamed honey dad, but tastes like lemon pie filling - not light and fluffy like Aunt Fran's Lemon Snow - I remember that and she also called it 'economy pudding' I think because it was so cheap to make, but so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!