Friday, November 23, 2007

17.5 pound Tom + 4 People = Leftovers!!!!


Last week when we thought we were having some company for Thanksgiving, I ordered our fresh, free range turkey.  The smallest they had left at that point were 17-19 pound size, which I didn't think would be any problem at all, since we were expecting company.  Their plans changed, which left us alone for Thanksgiving, and with one big bird!
 
On Wednesday morning, I was feeling a bit down about being alone, but after some upsetting news Wednesday afternoon, I was actually very glad to have a pressure free, quite family day. I needed a day to remember God's goodness and unfailing love.  Working away quietly in the kitchen allowed me time for prayer and reflection, and my heart was blessed by uplifting music.  I have to say, our turkey was one of the tastiest toms I've had the pleasure of eating. Since we were not worried about presentation, we cooked it breast side down and it was moist, flavorful and tender.  We have lots left!  

After dinner, The Historian de-boned the turkey, and we threw the bones into a big pot of water with onions, celery, a few cloves of garlic and herbs.  It simmered for 2 hours and then I put the whole pot in the Grammy flat fridge.  I am cooking it a bit more today, and then I will strain it, discard the bones and freeze most of the broth for future use. I plan to make Turkey Noodle Soup and freeze it.  I'll also make a batch of 'Mama's Wet Chicken' but with turkey.  It can be frozen without the biscuit topping.



Mama’s ‘Wet’ Chicken - or Turkey
In fry pan sauté together:
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion chopped finely
1 cup of sliced carrots
½ cup finely chopped celery
When tender, add:
4 cups of good chicken broth (leftover gravy and turkey stock work well)
2 cups of potato, peeled and diced
Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
In a small jar combine:
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
½ tsp. each poultry seasoning, thyme, and sage
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cold milk
Shake together to form a smooth paste. Add slowly to simmering broth and stir until thickened. 
Add:
1 ½ -2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
½ cup frozen peas
Allow to simmer for 10 minutes until heated through. Add a bit more warm milk if this becomes too thick. Dump into large greased casserole and heat oven to 400 degrees.
Biscuit Topping:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. cream of tarter
Cut in ½ cup cold butter until crumbly. Add 3/4 cup ice cold milk and stir to combine. Dump unto a floured board and knead gently 2 minutes. Roll to ½” thick and cut into 3x3” squares. Place on top of chicken mixture in casserole and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until biscuits are brown and chicken is bubbly. 
Serve with a nice salad and enjoy!

Today, I am putting away my fall decorations, tidying the house, doing some laundry and avoiding 'Black Friday' like the plague!  It is crisp and sunny here and I am glad for the sunshine!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. It can be very disappointing to have no one to join you for Thanksgiving, especially when you are accustomed to sharing the day with so many others.

    Thank you for your beautiful and encouraging blog. I visit it several times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turkey sounded really good! I'm sorry your plans changed, but trust your day was blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicky - thank you for visiting! I read your profile and visited your blog - we have many things in common! I'm glad you find my blog encouraging!

    We are actually quite used to borrowing guests for special occasions or being alone. When my hubby was a pastor, we were always pretty far from family and so we sought to have other 'orphan families' included at our table. We have also been blessed to have our families travel to join us in the past, but now that we have lost so many family members, we are often alone. In some cases our close church families have seen our need and included us in their family celebrations, which has been a blessing too.

    This year we found two families that seemed to need a place to go, but both changed their plans, so that was fine. It worked out well to have a quiet day together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking the time on this borrowed computer to say hi! I always miss family on Thanksgiving, even my in-laws (be nice, Brenda). They required us to go there each Thanksgiving and Easter but I know now it made for pleasant memories for the kids.

    I'm exhausted today but I slowly was able to get all my fall decorations put away and my husband help me move Christmas boxes to the living room. I put out a few of them today but will slowly work on the decorations over the weekend.

    I pray joy for you for the Christmas season my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to hear from you Brenda! I'm missing you in my small blogging circle! I was able to slowly get most of Fall put away also today, but I am yet to convince my hubby that there is any hurry to get into the dark recesses of the attic and haul out box after box of Christmas stuff! I desperately want to go through what we have, because I remember buying some new pretties after Christmas last year, but have NO CLUE what I bought! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God's plans are often not the same as ours, but we learn through the years to be flexible don't we ?
    I have enjoyed reading throuh your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patty - I often thank the Lord for a flexible nature - I think that those who try to set their 'plans in stone' are most miserable and don't enjoy the blessings of plan 'B'! I am glad you are enjoying reading through my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a quiet and peaceful Thanksgiving, Heather. It will be wonderful to have all those leftovers! Thank you for sharing your day with us!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!