Monday, November 5, 2007

Historical Fun!


This morning's History project involved re-creating the pyramids - in clay! We were supposed to get mud and straw and bake them, but we decided that since we don't have the hot Egyptian sun and benefit of the Nile for a quick cleansing dip after, we made them with Play Dough. I was given a small batch version of this recipe in my Early Childhood Ed. days and then recently came across in on a blog - but I'm sorry to say I can't remember where! Thank you -whoever! It reminded me of the old recipe and all the trouble we had getting the lumps out, so this is my version. The changes made it simple and the only problem was due to my lack of upper body strength - so with the Historian to the rescue, it turned out smoothly!


Pumpkin Spice Playdough


Boil:

4 1/4 cups of water


Sift together:

2 cups of salt

6 cups of flour

1/4 cup cream of tartar

4 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice OR 1 Tbsp. EACH cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger - whatever you have on hand will work! Get creative!



Add:

3/4 cup oil

orange food coloring (yellow:red 2:1)


Mix until it is crumbly and fairly even. Start pouring in the boiling water, slowly and stirring as best you can. This is where upper body strength would come in handy - I held the pot and the Historian stirred. When all the water is incorporated turn unto a cutting board or piece of waxed paper and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Store in an airtight container. I can't remember how long it lasts, but it make a nice big batch, smells great and provides hours of fun - even for the Mommy! I got a 'B' on my pyramid - the kids wrecked theirs before the photo!

13 comments:

  1. What a fun project and I'll bet the pumpkin playdough smells great!
    We did a study on Egypt last year and enjoyed it. We just found out that King Tut and more than 100 treasures found in his tomb will be at the Dallas museum next summer. We are so excited!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw the Egypt display at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) four years ago and it was terrific - except for the lack of modesty! There were a lot of questions about why there weren't more clothes! Our children are older now, and would perhaps not have quite so much to say - loudly - about the Egyptian lack of attire! I was really glad The Dreamer wasn't reading big words yet or we would have had a lot of discussion concerning the 'family planning' impliments displayed as well. I'm sure your children are at the ages where they will learn a lot and really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- that playdough sounds really good! I've never heard of that "flavor" before and can't wait to try it for my kids! My husband is longing to go to Egypt someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look like fun...I wish my kiddos were still little so I would have an excuse to make that playdough! BTW I have a really quick pudding recipe using leftover pumpkin on my blog - stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - it doesn smell great - but it certainly wouldn't taste great! Nothing in it to hurt the kids, but might make them very thirsty!

    hoganfe - I will stop by - thank you for the invite! You'll just have to borrow some kids - maybe there is a young mom you know who could really use an afternoon out of the house ALONE - I know I could! Just whip up a batch and arrange the time - you'll be the hit of the party! It's a huge batch and would do nicely for a junior church hands on activity. Hey - it might even be 'thereputic' - i know it felt really good on my hands when it was warm and soft - that's enough reason to make a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, sounds good enough to eat. I think your pyramid is at least a B+!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori -thank-you! My 'graders' were I bit critical of the strange cone shaped 'brick' at the top and of all of the holes in my walls - at least it didn't collapse! A mommy can only work with the tools she has and they would share the playdough knives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the maple syrup tip, Heather! Will it freeze completely in the freezer or still be "pourable?"

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelli-The maple syrup will be thick, but it is still pourable when it is frozen. I'm glad the tip was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a first time visitorand have been spendind alot of time reading your post. I am going to try your version of rice pudding. Thanks Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Mary Isabella! I'm glad you stopped by! You have a beautiful, meaningful name! Stop back any time - I am a rather inconsistant blogger, but I keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, this is Sean. I wonder if that i Pharaohs tome and did the his slaves the Israelites make it?!!

    This is my blog http://irishboysean.blogspot.com/

    and my mom is Ruth. She visited your blog today. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sean! We tried to make the Pharaoh's tomb, but it's not exactly as we hoped it would turn out. The dough was a bit soft and squishy to make bricks with! The History lesson called for us to use straw, mud and water and bake them in the sun to make bricks like the Isrealite slaves did before the Exodus, but I'm not the kind of Mommy who wants MUD in my kitchen! It was pouring rain the morning we did this lesson. We'll have to try it one some hot summer day. Our children had an idea about filling a wading pool with chopped straw, mud and water and sloshing around in it barefooted until it was thickened. Does that sound like fun to you?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!