Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mini-Holiday

Last night our family attended the most wonderful Steve Green Christmas concert! It was inspiring, uplifting, encouraging and just a wonderful blessing! What a way to begin the Christmas season, focusing our hearts and minds on the reason for our Saviour's birth though the powerful words and music. The Storyteller and Dreamer got to meet Mr. Green! The Storyteller showed him his teeth! Who knows why? The Storyteller was awed by Mr.Green's powerful voice, and finally related that Prayer Bear and Sir Bernard are really Mr. Green using his voice to play a part.

It has been years since we attended a concert, and I am so glad that we did! Both children were really well behaved and attentive. We made it into a 'mini-holiday' and stayed overnight at a hotel. With a pool of course! We will make our way back home later this afternoon after exploring the area a bit and perhaps visiting a museum. It's not our usual Sunday morning activity since we are 'always' at church on Sunday morning - barring illness or a major weather situation. However, we heard the good news last night in such a powerful way, and were encouraged in our faith sufficiently to bring us through this Lord's day.

I have been burdened with concern and worry since Wednesday of this week. I received word that I did not pass my mammogram last week and I am required to have further testing this week. It's hard to face the 'unknown'. The idea of cancer on top of liver disease and thrombosis really scares me. I know that worry is sin, and I have been praying through the worry and fear. I actually was not feeling up to getting the family ready for this 'mini-holiday', but since the tickets were paid for and we were all looking forward to going, we baked some chocolate chip cookies, packed up the van and came ahead.

There is nothing like focusing on God's unfathomable love to take your mind off of yourself for a little while. I hope you get the opportunity to drink in the music of Good News this Christmas season, as we have. What a blessing!

18 comments:

  1. (((Heather))) praying for your test results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep you in my prayers as you await new test results. I know it's hard not to worry and my prayer is that God will give you comfort during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I too had a "call back" for my recent mammogram. Please take heart, over 80% of them are simply because something was unclear. My "redo" showed a few little things that they will look at again in six months. My doctor told me to have no worries, it's only a precaution. He said that they are so very careful these days and so many, many women are put through needless stress and worry. BUT...if it catches something early when it can be cured, then it's worth it! Take care of yourself, and trust that all things are in God's plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your mammogram, and will be praying for God's perfect will regarding that, and that He may see fit for everything to be okay. I understand something of the dread of "another" thing wrong.
    The concert sounded wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this

    ReplyDelete
  6. May the LORD bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you and give you peace forever. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,
    keep the faith....will continue to keep you in my prayers....you are a strong woman, and you deserved that wonderful weekend getaway with them!! It sounds so wonderful.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,
    God is a good God and a big God. Jesus has already purchased your complete healing on the Cross! So the Good News is that you don't have to be sick.

    I made a post on my blog awhile ago that I'd love to share with you on the subject of sickness and healing.

    http://vickystreehouse.blogspot.com/2007/08/no-more-sick-days.html

    (I'm new at posting links, so it looks like you'll have to copy and paste this to your address bar...sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know you personally but I came across your blog from someone else's and I'm sorry about your test "scare" and trust that it will turn out to be nothing of signifigance -- I love Steve Green concerts and it sounds like you had a wonderful time -- God bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I read your blog each day and I will be praying for you as you wait for your test results. I pray that you will grow even closer to the Lord during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are in my prayers Heather. My own mama went through this experience, this past summer, and it was so frightening for everyone. It is impossible not to worry, I think, but God knows your heart of faith and trust and love and will draw near to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am overwhelmed by all of your kind words, promise of prayer support and encouraging personal stories. Thank you all so much! I am really trying to focus on not worrying during the day, but it seems to be catching up with me in my dreams. I am trying to plan a really positive week of accomplishing things from my long 'to do' list, along with our regular school work and weekly life happenings - I don't want too much extra time on my hands to 'mope'! Thank you all for your love and concern!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting isn't it how so many of your blogger friends promise to pray for you. For strength, for peace, and for healing too.

    Becky told me about their missionary replacements in Trieste were delayed and had the tests re-done, a lumpectomy was performed and it was benign. PTL

    They are praying. Anna in Italy is praying. Sean and Marie in S A are praying. Wen and Jan in B C are praying. All of your mother's Bible study ladies (2) are praying.
    We are praying. Your siste is praying. And so many of your other friends are praying too honey.

    So my dear daughter: as Nahum 1:7 says: "God is our refuge. A stronghold in the day of trouble. And He knows them that are called by His Name."

    Hang on to that verse. I do so often. It was given me by a friend of Poppa David's from Ottawa, Don M. and I have clung to it for 40 years.

    Love ya'all for your support of Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will be saying prayers for you that everything is all right.

    Blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather,

    I am praying for you today and will continue this week as you await new tests and results. I am praying that you will be comforted and have peace beyond all understanding. This trial is certainly cause for concern and much prayer. My heart goes out to you.

    God is so faithful and can be trusted with every facet of our lives. May He continue to be glorified in and through your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a very encouraging blog and I am sure lots of people will pray for you...me too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be praying for you...
    Philippians 4:6-7

    I haven't stopped by your blog in a while - it's lovely!

    Blessings to you and yours,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all! I feel like I need to keep on saying this - you don't know just how your kind words are encouraging my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!